Paper Cranes | Teen Ink

Paper Cranes

By Hannibal_the_Vegetarian_Cannibal SILVER, A Nice Place In, Virginia
Hannibal_the_Vegetarian_Cannibal SILVER, A Nice Place In, Virginia

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anonymous

"For he loved her, as you can only love someone who is an echo of yourself in your time of deepest sorrow." ~ Orson Scott Card

This is the truth I tell you:
One thousand paper cranes equal
one wish
Carried up on parchment wings
not melting before rain, nor
incinerating at a lightning thrust.

one equals one thousand or
one thousand equals one. In the end
it’s all the same

(Aren’t we all, in the
surreal blackness of Death?)

Honesty --
(What is that but
make-believe for children?)
is not what we call truth,
nor is truth honesty.
Put it any way you like,
but they are twins only in your mind.

Paper cranes
are not honest,
or truthful either.
They are nothing
but embodiment of
one wish
borne on a thousand impervious wings

This is a strange poem I wrote, not after reading about Hiroshima (those that influenced it), but after reading Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. I really don't know how this poem came from that.

on Feb. 25 2020 at 12:13 pm
keatskkun BRONZE, Pasadena, California

"You couldn't possibly be sensible and useful, Phil, so you'd better pine away and die."
Sorry Anne, you've had better moments. :)

I'm curious about the part where you said honesty is not the same thing as the truth. It occurred to me that when we're being honest, we're opening ourselves up to others and revealing to them what we THINK is the truth, but the truth that you speak about, (I like to think of it as truth with a capital T), is something mysterious, unique, something that remains unknown, hidden among everything we THINK is the truth. I really want to know what YOU meant when you said that the two are not the same.

on Mar. 3 2012 at 3:33 pm
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
Very nice! It sparked a memory, my japanese teacher told me that one thousand cranes is like some kind of gift. Good job! :)(:

on Feb. 2 2012 at 5:29 pm
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Cool poem-it touches on so many truths (and finally talks about truth itself) it's just one of those mystic poems...I loves it :)

FireIgnited said...
on Jan. 21 2012 at 12:41 pm
FireIgnited, Valley City, North Dakota
First of all, I think the title Paper Cranes is great: mysterious, original, and it grabs people's attention. I think maybe you could make the poem a bit less confusing, but I did really like it--especially the last few lines. Great job :)

on Dec. 29 2011 at 7:22 pm
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

I think your poem flows quite nicely and your last lines were nice. I find it refreshing that someone would turn the topic of paper cranes into a completely different thing. Good job. ****

on Nov. 27 2011 at 5:36 am
AnimaCordis GOLD, London, Other

"Evil is when the good do nothing"

I didn't know that paper cranes could hold so much meaning!

on Nov. 21 2011 at 8:01 am
Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan

They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

You have good wording, and it's a nice topic, I'm just not into paper cranes.

BluBliss GOLD said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 5:34 am
BluBliss GOLD, New York, New York

Bella's love for Edward was like, "Omg. He's hot. He's mine because he sparkles. Now I'll brood the wholle book while I'm with him."

I like your wording. And you know it takes real luck to pick words that impress people. I really don't care for the grammer: that's what grammer check is for. d'uh. :p And I like the paper cranes- the first stanza was amazing.

on Nov. 10 2011 at 6:17 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Okay, I have a bit of criticism.

1.  Make sure to keep your capitalization consistent.  In most instances, you capitalize the first word of a sentence, but you don't always do that.

2.  What does honesty have to do with paper cranes?

Other than that, I actually like the rhythm of this poem.  It flows very well.

on Nov. 10 2011 at 6:10 pm
Calliashi SILVER, Litchfield Park, Arizona

The man with the key is king and honey, you should see me in a crown. ~James Moriarty

Great job!!! I'm learning about Hiroshima and the atomic bomb, so it surprised me this wasn't about it! And this is one of the ONLY free verse poems I like. I mostly hate the rest, lol. Great job!

on Nov. 10 2011 at 4:40 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure where the part about honesty came from, either. But the last verse was sort of trying to show how the paper cranes were nothing but the wish, weighed down by no human emotions or troubles. I don't really know how to say it, but it's sort of like they were the bit of the wisher that the wisher wanted to be: someone free and rising up, not weighed down by anything. That's what I think I was trying to say: when I write my best poetry, I get into this sort of poetic coma thing, where I write and write, and when I look back at my work, I think Where the heck did this come from? XD

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
on Nov. 7 2011 at 7:36 pm
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
This is very original and creative. I like that you didn't need to rhyme to have your poem flow nicely. I am a little confused, however, on how wishing on paper cranes and honesty relate. However, I can tell that you are a very talented writer. Keep writing!