Whispers Beyond the Barrier | Teen Ink

Whispers Beyond the Barrier

January 8, 2024
By SSAbeG GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
SSAbeG GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
15 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Within the good people around us, they have demons within them too."


I was never afraid to show myself.

I was never afraid to express the feelings that hide inside of me.

People say it's better to stay quiet and think it through.

What if they're wrong? What if they want me to see something fake?

I can still hear their voices inside my head. My body still cannot deal with the headaches.

The constant words repeat, "Let go, follow us and say something else..."

These words seem weird in a way where I have to follow them elsewhere.

Problems may lurk someplace, but I don't know where the words come from.

My folks at home say there's nothing to worry about. Instead, focus on different things.

I never listened to them. Not one bit. The voices grab my attention and drag me deep.

Deep into a place where nothing can hurt me. It's my comfort place, you know.

My friends began to worry about me, but I shooed them away like bugs. 

They don't deserve my sadness. They don't deserve to know what I'm going to do next.

Facing problems head on is the best thing I can do right now.

If they interfere with me one more time, I'll pretend that they never existed in the first place.

My rage fills my poor heart. The guilt weighs my heart even more.

To where I can no longer feel pain. I became the wind and not to be heard from ever again.

I drifted to a place where I used to go every evening before going home.

I sat there in silence, thinking about what to do with myself. Can I even make it?

Once I collapsed into a deep sleep. Those very same words tried to guide me home once more.