Darkness Into Silence | Teen Ink

Darkness Into Silence

By SSAbeG GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
SSAbeG GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey

"Within the good people around us, they have demons within them too."

"The very instant I take a step forward and plunge into the abyss something shatters inside of me. My whole life I’ve been dreading this moment. To plummet down the endless void, shallowed in black. What a horrible way to die. My mind is a frenzied beehive of macabre thoughts I can no longer repress. 

My mother’s broken fingers clawed at the tunnel wall, desperately trying to find a gripping point. The echoes of my father’s breathless cough as he choked to death. A cup of poisoned tea in the reflection of my wife’s cold eyes. Firm hands closed around my son’s neck. Oh, what I wouldn’t do to spare them from this suffering. Amid this maelstrom of torment, I am struck by a momentary glimpse of enlightenment.

As the bottom of this accursed chasm awaits no paradise, but the famished lips of a beast who knows that the faint light of the candles signals its next banquet. As the darkness takes bold of what’s left of my sanity, I clamor at my one last thought to whatever might be hiding in the shadows: “I will not go gentle into that good night”, and when that echo fades, all that remains in the settling dust..."