Darkness Into Silence | Teen Ink

Darkness Into Silence

September 24, 2023
By SSAbeG GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
SSAbeG GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
15 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Within the good people around us, they have demons within them too."


"The very instant I take a step forward and plunge into the abyss something shatters inside of me. My whole life I’ve been dreading this moment. To plummet down the endless void, shallowed in black. What a horrible way to die. My mind is a frenzied beehive of macabre thoughts I can no longer repress. 


My mother’s broken fingers clawed at the tunnel wall, desperately trying to find a gripping point. The echoes of my father’s breathless cough as he choked to death. A cup of poisoned tea in the reflection of my wife’s cold eyes. Firm hands closed around my son’s neck. Oh, what I wouldn’t do to spare them from this suffering. Amid this maelstrom of torment, I am struck by a momentary glimpse of enlightenment.


As the bottom of this accursed chasm awaits no paradise, but the famished lips of a beast who knows that the faint light of the candles signals its next banquet. As the darkness takes bold of what’s left of my sanity, I clamor at my one last thought to whatever might be hiding in the shadows: “I will not go gentle into that good night”, and when that echo fades, all that remains in the settling dust..."