burning branches | Teen Ink

burning branches

By ghugs SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey
ghugs SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey

i lay in the midst of a forest,

its barren trees engulfed by the sun and

glowing brighter than my ivories.

i lay in a forest

while my father swims laps through streets,

his work suit stained a hue of brown. 

i lay in a forest

while my mother stares wide-eyed

at microscopic, white pellets

weaving a blanket onto the 

unscathed salt water. 

i lay in a forest,

watching my Earth crumble

until all that remains are 

my father’s wet swim trunks.

Global warming has always been a source of concern for me, and recently that fear has been at the forefront of my mind. I decided to write about this fear in order to help me comprehend it and get a new piece out of it at the same time. 

Also, I'd like to take a moment to educate you about the Willow Project. If you haven't heard already, the Willow Project is a proposal made to the U.S. gov. to sell a portion of Alaska for oil drilling. If this project goes into action it will not only force native tribes to relocate, but it will also release a MASSIVE amount of carbon dioxide into the environment. Nearby species will be forced to relocate and irreversible damage will be done to our environment. Unfortunately, the proposal was approved earlier this week but the fight is not over. Sign petitions, write letters to the White House, and do everything and anything that you can to stop this project from commencing. We will NOT lose our earth because of greed. The helpless animals that live in their habitats will NOT suffer and die because of greed. Please consider researching what you can do to help stop this project. If you want a future for yourself, your children, their children and so on please do anything you can to help. 

MoarteaCorbului1845 BRONZE, East Hartford, Connecticut

"Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." - Eric Draven (The Crow)

I love the theme here. Poem flows nicely and it sheds light on a particularly vital issue.