Synesthesia | Teen Ink

Synesthesia

January 31, 2023
By gus15 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
gus15 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The feeling of the word math is like trying to tie a knot in string with your mouth.

The smell of math is like bitter coffee with no cream in it.

The taste of math is like having swollen taste buds while eating a banana.

The sound of math is blank, with small whispers in your ears that you can't understand.

The feeling of not knowing the answer is like rubbing oranges on your face with the seeds scraping your cheeks.

It looks like a pair of red pants with the pockets ripped.


History feels like holding a metal pole belonging to a soccer net.

It smells like sweat and carpet.

It tastes like strawberries and fabric.

It sounds like shouting and chairs scraping the floor when you get up.

When you don't know the answer, it feels like keys on a keyboard popping off when you're trying to type.

It looks like a stack of folders and an old, blue, metal barstool.


Science feels like glass shards and burned fingers.

It smells like peanut butter and cake pops.

It tastes like a dirty sponge and overcooked ramen.

It sounds like a crowd of people and dress shoes walking on tile.

The feeling of not knowing the answer is like having books fall on you when you're reaching for the highest shelf.

It looks like blue computers and a bouquet of white daisies.


The feeling of english is like having a massage specifically on your neck.

It smells like lemon candles and coffee shops.

It tastes like mop water and blood.

It sounds like the crackling of thunder and the acceleration of sports cars.

The feeling of not knowing the answer is like staring until your eyes go black and zoning out the window at trees.

It looks like rays of sunlight peeking through clouds while rain trickled down the sun roof.


The author's comments:

This piece is basically how i see different classes with Synesthesia.