Clear but Muddy | Teen Ink

Clear but Muddy

By ngobdennis BRONZE, Springfield, Virginia
ngobdennis BRONZE, Springfield, Virginia

What I see 

in shining waters

and crystal transparency

is a murky, 

musty,

muddy reality.

We bathe in privileges

of bottled water,

of hour-long showers,

of private pools,

and clean living.

The water we look at

reflects back at us

and presents a mirror

of cleanliness and purity.

In truth

what I see, 

we bathe in ignorance,

in polluted oceans,

in the cries of the underserved,

in an indigenous water crisis,

and in a pool of injustices.

A young boy

who looks like me

stands before a pail of water

and can’t see his reflection.

The umber opacity

of an unfair world

that can but will not,

that will but won’t,

that hasn’t done enough

to make sure he sees his reflection.

What I see 

in the pond behind my house

is clear water

but a muddy reflection of society.

I wrote this poem after researching the many water crises that have plagued underserved communities across the world. The incident that had the most profound impact on my perception of water was the water crisis in Vietnam, where high levels of arsenic contaminated drinking water. Seven million people were at high risk of health complications as a result of the contamination. The reason I was struck so much by this was because I myself am Vietnamese, and seeing other Vietnamese people, especially children my age, made me reflect on my own privileges and how society divides resources between the poor and rich. We feel as though we are different because of this divide and the circumstances that make some of us feel more fortunate, yet we are more or less the same. When writing this poem, I felt that I wanted the reader to see the parallels and differences that privileged and underprivileged communities experience with water. Clean water is very much a symbol of privilege and a precious resource that is easily overlooked and is unfairly jeopardized to poor and minority communities because of government and big business corruption.