Looking Into My Crystal Ball | Teen Ink

Looking Into My Crystal Ball

By JamesStory PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
JamesStory PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

"It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way." -Ernest Hemingway

My future is bright. I have already researched my future. It just has not been written yet. When I was little I wanted to be a fire fighter. When I was 8, that changed into me wanting to be a game designer. I had always loved playing video games and it sounded awesome to be able to create games that millions of people would play, and I would be able to create all of that. When I was 11 though, I started thinking about my future. I would be getting a job in 3 years, so it never hurts to start thinking more about what I will do for my job. About a month later I found out about code. More specifically scratch. It was amazing, I could use little coding blocks to design anything I wanted. I went to a camp that summer about coding and used scratch. I told my parents and they started telling about cyber security (hacking for the government).

It was everything I had already loved. Designing programs to help the governments programs not get hacked. It used code just like the one I used in scratch, but not with coding blocks, it was actual written code. Also, you would hack into programs to test out of there security! I researched even more about it and it quickly became my dream job. It seems extremely rewarding to know that you are protecting the government from hackers (it also makes a lot of money but that is not why I want to do it).

Let jump back to when I was little. One of my cousins was a fire fighter and I went to meet him, and he taught me about what they do and how they do it. I was young so obviously I did not know the dangers of being a fire fighter. My parents knew about this and gave me some dress up clothes that I would wear around the house and it would look like I was in that job. I would run around the house with a little spray bottle with water in it and just pretend to be a fire fighter.

So, I also have some personal goals or small term goals. I never get good grades so that is one of my goals to have a report card that is not only c’s. I want to have a report card with a’s and b’s. Another short-term goal I must make is to make some new friends. Most of my friends that I have now are not pleasant to me and aggravate me a lot. It is hard though to find a table to sit at in 8th grade and to take a risk and sit at another table is good to make me break out of my shell.

It Is very hard to find a table to sit at in 8th grade because everyone already has their friends and tables they have sat at since 6th grade. When I moved tables a week ago, it was good because I knew some people at that table, but I had been sitting at that other table since the 1st week of 6th grade so every time at lunch I always forget I sit at a different table. I must train myself to sit at another table which is difficult to do.

I would like to dedicate this last part of this journal to my biggest long-term goal I want have done.
If I can get this goal done, it will be one of the greatest things to happen. It may sound weird, but I want to get my mental health under control. Ever since 1st grade, my parents have noticed that I was annoying to some of my friends. They never noticed it until 3rd grade when I got diagnosed with ADHD but ever since then, it has been a battle to get my mental health under control.

In 6th grade it got out of control. I would have big rages that made my parents want to move out of their own home and I felt like it was all my fault. I would get angry over the slightest thing and it would turn into a 3-hour long rage and after that I would just fall asleep for the night.

The one thing that I hated after I started getting medicine is that my parents waited to get me medicine. They knew I had ADHD since 3rd grade so why not get it sooner. They waited until about May of 2017 to finally start getting me medicine. Therefore, this is one of my long-term goals. I would like to end this year and a half long battle of all of this.

This long-term goal has a lot of meaning. I would like to have a medicine where I never have any rages ever. My mom has her mental health problems under control so why can’t I have my mental health problems under control.

I love writing about what I think my future will be. My future may be bright, it just isin't written yet.