Dark Water | Teen Ink

Dark Water

By AdamBen BRONZE, Abu Dhabi, Other
AdamBen BRONZE, Abu Dhabi, Other

"You can't put a limit on anything" - Michael Phelps

I dive into the smooth, silky surface

My body freezes and trembles

The water swallows me like a shark that's found its prey

I try to find a way out

The water swishes and swirls around me

Slowly I sink deeper and deeper

All of the fight in me has drowned

The only thing left is my will to survive

Soon I am alone

I have hit the bottom of the lake

Nobody is around me

It's dark and cold

Colder than ice

I urge for one last breath of air

I try to regain my feet and stand up

I slip and fall

All goes dark

Most of my poems came from different experiences in my life. Each poem has its own meaning to me. I look through different photos to help conjure up the memories from years ago. Another technique I use to help me write poetry is looking around a room to find different objects that I might be able to write about. When I write my poems they come from different feelings I had. For example, being terrified of the alligators at the zoo, or swimming in a freezing lake. When writing poetry I enjoy using alliteration. I think that this gives a lyrical sound to the poems, making them like music. Although, I found myself overusing this poetry writing technique, and I often had to re-read the poems to take the excessive alliteration out. Instead of alliteration I might replace it with sibilance to vary the types of techniques I chose to use.

Furthermore, I enjoy finding different ways to say the same sentence, using different poetry writing techniques. I will add metaphors, consonance, assonance, onomatopoeia, hyperboles, line breaks and even rhyme, to make each sentence have more meaning and be more complex. Sometimes I will re-read the poems and change the poetic devices around to see which types of poetic devices fit the poems or sentences the best.