Grandpa | Teen Ink

Grandpa

July 13, 2018
By AmbiguousB SILVER, Alta Loma, California
AmbiguousB SILVER, Alta Loma, California
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night" -Albert Camus


We don’t speak the same language
We communicate with the
Cookies I sneak into your quivering palm
Counting counting counting
Canciones
Coloring books, and inquires like
“¿Cómo me llamo?”


The author's comments:

My grandpa's name is Jose Guadalupe but he calls himself Lupito. He has had Alzheimer's for as long as I've been around. He only speaks Spanish but if you ask him how he is doing in English he says "very good thank jew.” He’s 86. They say that when he was younger he was very strict and used to chase away jahovas witnesses with a hose when they came to his door. They also say that he was a hard worker and loved his landscaping job at the cemetery. They say too that they were poor but he used to buy chocolate bars whenever he could and split them into 10 pieces: one for him and the others for his 9 kids. That’s what they say. On his good days he'll call me Brianitha and laughs but on his bad days he won't remember my name and cries. He likes it if you sing him a song when he cries. He'll smile and start to sing along. He likes to count and look at magazines. I like practicing my Spanish with him because he only looks at me and giggles when I say something wrong. He always shakes and kisses your hand hello and goodbye. Sometimes you have to wiggle your hand out of his grip because he'll keep shaking it. Sometimes he falls and is too heavy for my grandma to pick up. He is very hard to take care of. When we lived at my grandparents house we would watch Funniest Home Videos on school day nights and he would laugh a lot. When we spent summers at my grandparents house we would watch his novelas and we would laugh a lot. They always have the best snacks. There's always popsicles in the fridge or cookies on the table and whenever I eat them I get something for him too. He might not remember his hatred for religious men in suits or be able to lift a wheelbarrow anymore but he still has, and always will have, his sweet tooth. That's something mental illness nor physical disablity can ever take away.