Rainfall | Teen Ink

Rainfall

March 1, 2018
By RandomWriter923 GOLD, Freehold, New Jersey
RandomWriter923 GOLD, Freehold, New Jersey
15 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Confidence is the key in the door to success." - a fortune cookie I got once (iconic, I know.)


What happens when you hold something in for too long, like clouds that are just a little too dark for the blue sky surrounding them?
It’s small things at first. A raindrop of annoyance there, some condensation in the form of a snapped word here, small actions that shouldn’t mean anything but, in a way, mean everything.
People begin to ask how you’re doing, desperate to be polite. Your cloud darkens a little bit, but it’s okay, because there’s plenty of blue sky around.
Until there’s not.
Suddenly the sky is just a blanket of clouds, no sun, no blue, but you’re convinced everything’s still fine because you’re not mad or anything. No, the clouds may be many, but they are fluffy and only a little bit grey.
So people take you for your word, and move on.
The clouds get darker and darker.
Soon enough, it’s all anyone, including you, can think of. You’re mad for no reason, upset, sad, angry, but you haven’t snapped yet, so you figure it’s fine. Of course, everyone can see right through the lies. People glance up at the sky, sigh, and bring out their umbrellas.
Sometimes the gray goes away. Sometimes people get surprised and smile as the sun comes out, giving a chuckle to how naive they were to believe it would rain on such a nice day, and go on with their lives.
Although, sometimes, one more drop of water is added to the almost-black cloud. One little word or tone or expression.
And then?
Well.
Then it rains.


The author's comments:

Writing has always been an almost-therapy for me. I get mad fairly easily, and before I can snap another word, I run to the computer. I never really know what I'll write, but I know that I'll feel good after I write it.

In this case, I was mad, it was raining, and I decided it would be the perfect time to dive heads-first into whatever I was thinking and just get it out there. 

If I can tell you one thing, I'll tell you this: it worked.