My Name (Ty) | Teen Ink

My Name (Ty)

December 21, 2021
By 3getz PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
3getz PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ty. Ty is ripped jeans. Imperfection. It’s like a normal pair of jeans but with holes and rips. . Ty is the suit and tie every office worker wears. No creativity. Blandess keeps us under the radar.  


Ty is like a tiger but captivated in a zoo. Held back from greatness. A horse locked in its pen. Ty is an innocent man convicted. Our voices are not getting out. At the end of the day we survive.  We’re not living though. 


The name Ty is the black cloud that imprisons us from greatness. No one realizes that they’re stuck in the madness. The Ty curse is a maximum security prison that has all the average citizens locked up. The prisoners' punishment is to watch out the window. Looking at everyone else's lives that are better than yours. We’re comfortable but not fulfilled. 


All these things have the potential to escape—but it's risky. the guards may stop us. We don’t want to gamble our safe lifestyle away. We’re too scared to leave. What if something goes wrong? We end up with nothing. But if we never leave, we’re going to miss the opportunity. 


That’s what Ty does—it holds us back. It tells us to stay. It’s the significant other that promises to be better. But they never are. They’re blood suckers. They take everything from us. Leeches.  .It chains us down. It tells us to listen. You’ll be nothing without me, it says, It's our survival. You’re never gonna make it. 


We work. We eat. We sleep. We don’t think for ourselves. You’re Ty and all you do is listen. It’s not having your own identity. Not having your own ideas.  Work until the day you die. The tiger entertains the zoo until the day it can’t. 


At school they make fun of my name. “Ty my shoes”. “Ty wearing a tie”. Is your legal name Tyler?, it can’t just be Ty. That’s what they say, they just think of me as another person that got their identity dissolved. They don’t realize the tragic story behind the name and the prisoners it has. 


But I will escape the prison. Snatch a new name that represents my ideals. That puts me in the best place. Away from society's judgment. The fear of risk gone. Names that represent this idea of free will and self control. Brad or Jordan. people of success. Brad Pitt, Jordan Belfort, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady. all made it. 


I struggled with competitiveness. I’m never fulfilled. I always want more and better. Never stop. The Ty idea feeds into my addiction. Getting better everyday is so addicting. Risk and my desire. Is the most addictive substance. 


But eventually everything has to end. Retirement comes. I want to be sitting on the sunny Caribbean beach, sipping a drink, and knowing that I’m fulfilled. A wild stallion running around open fields. No more shackles. My mind is finally at peace. Finally free. No more worries.  It ends happily ever after.