Where Are You From? | Teen Ink

Where Are You From?

July 5, 2021
By aarushi7 SILVER, North Brunswick, New Jersey
aarushi7 SILVER, North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’m made up of Bollywood songs, nice, hot food, flavourful spices, India’s religious temples, the suburbs, the jersey shores, and the ivy league school that stands in front of me in Princeton, New Jersey.


I’m from a neighborhood where life, as we know it, was easy, the small-town thrills were exciting, and us kids went door to door grabbing each other from our homes, eager to ride our bikes on the smooth, newly paved road. 


Where I’m from, everyone came together and partied hard in that one house, and people weren’t afraid to show their true colors. Kids were playing basketball and others were gardening and taking an afternoon stroll. If everyone was out and about, it was summer, the best time to live in my neighborhood. 


I’m from a family of strength, support, and hardships, but not betrayal or dishonesty. I have many people to help me out, and turn me in the right direction. My brother, the only sibling I have, is loyal, honest, and kind. We fight, but he will always be there to guide me. My wonderful mother, who I have to talk to and share things with. She’s my best friend when no one’s around. My father, who could rule with an iron fist, is hardworking, and supports my family to the t. I have grandparents who have fought for their rights and for who they are, wielding along an unsteady road. All of these people make up who I am. 


Where are you from?


The author's comments:

This piece describes my ethnicity and where I come from.