NFL Thursday Night Football | Teen Ink

NFL Thursday Night Football

January 18, 2018
By m.hoey20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
m.hoey20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the NFL Thursday Night football games are every week and some players dread the cost of playing on a thursday night game. As a big fan of football I hate the games too, I never get to watch them because they are on a thursday night at 8:30. I have school the next day so I am getting ready for school and doing my homework I never have the time to put on the game. As a big football fan I love to watch all the games I can, but making a Thursday Night game is even bad for adults. On a thursday night most of them have to go to work the next day so most of the adults can only watch so much of the games. Also NFL players have publically spoken on why NFL games are bad for the players. Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin. "This s*** should be illegal,” he said. “It is not OK. It’s not OK. You can quote me on that.” Doug Baldwin is talking about Thursday Night games and how his teammate Richard Sherman had a season ending injury by tearing his achilles on a thursday night game. Most of the NFL players hate thursday night games because they are ready to play. By being ready they mean they are not 100% healthy they are still banged up from sunday’s game and they still need some time to rest. Also the feel like they don’t have enough practice time to be ready for their opponents. These players think playing on thursday night is a bigger risk of getting hurt because of not being ready to go out and play at 100% because there bodies aren’t 100% yet. “It’s miserable. It’s terrible. They need to get rid of this game, I think. Just play on Mondays and Sundays. It’s so tough on guys. You’re beat up. You’re banged up. It’s a very violent, physical game we play.” said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Ben Roethlisberger is saying that playing the football games on the thursday night aren’t fun nor they are good for him or anyone's health.


In the NFL teams play a 16 games a year and they get one bye week a year where you have off the whole week off with no football but sometimes the bye week comes really early so they don’t need the bye week yet. Maybe a solution for this thursday night game problem can be having a bye week right before the thursday night game. Of course they can’t do that for every game but they can do it for some and it can solve part of the problems on the player side of things. On the audience side moving games to Friday or Saturday is just benefiting the players playing on those night but it is also benefiting us viewer at home because we don’t have to stay up so late on a weeknight, if it is played on a friday or saturday and the ratings with go up higher for the NFL. NFL Thursday night football game are not only bad for the players but also bad for the audience because it is not enjoyable for both sides.