My Philosophy on Grades | Teen Ink

My Philosophy on Grades

November 6, 2018
By Teddygat0r BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Teddygat0r BRONZE, Cupertino, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In our society, each and every grade is very important, and one score can decide your future.

Grades are a form of ranking that schools use to measure how good a student does in his/her classes.  A’s are the best, C’s are average, and F’s are fails.

Grades are often what decide your future, and good grades mean you’ll be successful, and bad ones make your future unsuccessful.  


One should say that should work hard for these A’s, as they will most likely guide you towards a successful future.  After all, this letter grade does determine a lot about your future. This score strongly influences where you end up, how you get there, and it can even mess with your social life.  These grades are one of the most important things in your life, and they are one of the most important factors in determining your future.


Because of the fact that good grades are so important, many people will want them.  

Since so many people want these grades, there are more people earning good grades, and this causes the average person’s grade to go up.

Because of that, grades are now very inflamed, and now the A is an expected grade.

And since this grade is hard to get, students can think that their main priority is to get good grades, instead of learning.


This brings me to my philosophy.  My philosophy is that grades shouldn’t be treated as your main priority, but instead, learning should be.  Grades shouldn't be this way. There is too much emphasis on grades than there should be.


The author's comments:

This is a philosophy that I live by.  I don't believe getting good grades shows that you're learning.  You must truly feel like you understand the topic, by studying and knowing, not by getting a good score on a test that you crammed for the day before.