God: Judgmental or loving? | Teen Ink

God: Judgmental or loving?

By Razzmatazz BRONZE, Findlay, Ohio
Razzmatazz BRONZE, Findlay, Ohio

So often, we paint Jesus as a picture of Love, and God as picture of anger. How can God be Judgmental and Loving? What is love? Lately I have been studying and praying about God and His love. I am amazed at how loving God actually is. Here are a few things that I am learning about God, judgment, and love.

God is perfect and holy; therefore He can not be involved in sin. He must judge it, He can't accept it. If God accepted sin, how could He still be holy and perfect? God is not going to go against His nature. God is consistent. He must deal with sin. It’s true: God is scary, big and powerful.

However God is also love! He does not just love, He is LOVE. God (Love) created us to love Him and be loved by Him. We were made to love others and receive love from others. Love is the big picture!
So why would God make us, if He knew we were going to fail? He knew we would sin, and He knew we would reject His love. Why didn’t God just make us robots? Then God could love us and always be loved with out the big sin problem.

The thing about God is: He wants REAL love. He doesn’t want a bunch of people to “love” Him because they have to. That’s not love. God wants us to choose Him. God gives us a choice to love or not to love. Sadly, humans have chosen to turn away from God’s love by sinning. Sin separates us from God. God hates sin. It’s the opposite of LOVE; it ruins our love relationship with God.

The good news is that God still loves us, even when we are separated from Him. He loves us the same, and He wants our love. He knows what real love is! He doesn’t want to send us all to hell, because of all our many Many mistakes! So what did God do?

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16. God is Love. God loves the world. God sent His Son Jesus, to die for us. Jesus took on all our sin. Now we can know God (LOVE).

“God demonstrated His love for us…” “By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us” 1 John 3:16 God demonstrated his love, so that we could know love. So that we could know Him! What’s the point of being loved if you don’t know about it? God showed us His love so we could experience it.

Salvation is not about saying a prayer and doing whatever you want for the rest of your life. God is much deeper than that. God’s love is real. A relationship with God is about accepting God’s love, loving God, and loving others.

The point of “doing works” is not a burdensome list of rules. It’s simply reflecting God’s plan. When we do what is right, we are demonstrating our love to God. God wants a relationship with us. He demonstrated His love by sending Jesus. Our end of the relationship is to love God back, by demonstrating our love.

God always gives us a choice. We don’t have to demonstrate our love, but if we don’t want to, can we really call it love? The rules and commands don’t save us! Jesus justifies and makes us holy through His blood. That’s why a holy perfect God can be our friend.

“Faith without works is dead” because a relationship with out love is dead. Love should be put into action. We can’t love with out God’s love. When we receive God’s Love, we then have the capacity to love God and others. “We love because He first loved us!” 1 John 4:19

There is only one way to Heaven, and that is a love relationship with God, through what Jesus did on the cross. Even in Deuteronomy (An old testament book, full of rules) the heart is the most important thing. It mentions your “heart” forty-three times! It was always about a love relationship with God.

What happens when we mess up and sin again? Another awesome thing about God is that he can take a bad thing and use it for good. He can take your sin and use it as a love opportunity. It’s a chance for you to repent and once again try to live out the love. It’s also a time for God to love you, by forgiving you, even though you failed.

It’s really all about love! The more I read the Bible the more I find about how loving God is. There are countless verses and stories! I recommend reading 1 John, or better yet the whole Bible! Its just one love letter after another.

on Apr. 11 2016 at 6:31 pm
ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho

"If they don't like you for being yourself, be yourself even more" Taylor Swift

prolifepacifist, so are you saying that God doesn't ever help people until they are dead? That's funny considering how many Christians thank God for trival things. And why don't you try telling these victims that people can do whatever they want them because when they die, they'll go Heaven. Would you like to be starving and mistreated and have the one thing that would have the power to stop all of it ignores you until you die.

on Apr. 11 2016 at 6:22 pm
ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho

BlueRain, this is perfect. That's exactly what choice you are given.

on Apr. 11 2016 at 6:20 pm
ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho

If God truly loves all his creations then why are Atheists, LGBTs, Pagans, and Wiccans going to Hell? Why are they against the word of God if God created these people himself?

on Jul. 28 2015 at 2:32 pm
DicipleofChrist BRONZE, Eaton, Colorado
Amen to this article! May the Lord bless you, Razzmatazz!

on Jul. 28 2015 at 2:28 pm
DicipleofChrist BRONZE, Eaton, Colorado
blues_are.still_blue..................... There was only one efficient way. A perfect human sacrifice, but, someone who could bear the weight. God's Son was the only answer. Death on the cross is probably similarly like the pain in Hell, except lesser....... And, how can you not see His love? If someone let their only, dearly loved, son die, just to save YOU, would you not consider that love? What kind of reasoning are you using here?

ms.diidi said...
on Jan. 20 2014 at 4:07 pm
God is love by everyone

on Jan. 27 2013 at 5:36 pm
prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
I agree with you completely and am glad someone shares the same perspective as me.

on Jan. 27 2013 at 5:34 pm
prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
FroBro, that's not God's fault- that's a consequence of free will and HUMAN choices... some people will choose evil and I believe that these victims will have a beautiful place in Heaven- and that's where it really matters.

on Jan. 27 2013 at 5:32 pm
prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
My elementary teacher once said that he thought Heaven would be unique for each individual- whatever would make us happy, be it a paradise island or a theme park.  Truthfully, I think that that's what Hell would be EXCEPT that because we'd never have a chance with becoming one with God or experiencing true love- our soul would burn eternally with His absence.  But I don't believe that anyone goes to Hell except for those who choose to and accept this fate.

Bandgeek833 said...
on Jan. 4 2012 at 5:40 pm
I agree with you that the fear we have of God is not to be a "scared to death" fear, but it must be that of great respect and knowledge that He is all powerful and to be the ultimate source of guidance in our lives! And so we come to do good in life in order to please the creator we love and respect because he desires works of good toward our fellow man. It is beautiful that the creator desires us to have a moral compass, and work to love more deeply.

on Jan. 4 2012 at 5:31 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

But when one of the sins is not accepting him as God and believing in Jesus, isn't sin then inevitable for a non-believer? There is no "free will" in religion. There is one way or no way. Free Will: The power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

on Jan. 4 2012 at 5:25 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"make a choice to serve Him OR live a life of pleasure on this earth"? That's what I don't like about religion, especially you're explanation about it. It keeps you in through fear. Sure, then there's this flowery version you have, but it's still all through fear. I don't do good things because I fear the wraith of a god. I do good things because I LIKE TO. I refrain from doing bad things because I HAVE MORALS. I don't fear my parents. Fear and respect are two different things. You don't gain respect from being big and scary, you gain fear and people will only follow you because there's this thing called survival instinct. You gain respect from being open and wise and a good leader. Respect: A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements You can't truly admire someone you fear.

on Jan. 4 2012 at 5:11 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"God gives us a choice." Yeah, just like the Join or Die slogan... "Choose something else and I'll make you burn eternally."

on Sep. 18 2011 at 8:57 am
Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other

Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.

This is such a great strong message - a great way to get what God really is about out to people! I really and truly loved this! <3

on Sep. 16 2011 at 4:14 pm
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
srry for being stupid but i can't decide if your being sarcastic or not? lmao

on Sep. 16 2011 at 4:12 pm
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
i liked this article! Chritianity has been slandered alot latley and it's good to see someone writing an article that doesn't bash other religions! Even though i'm not even close to Christian i loved reading this! 

ellie315 GOLD said...
on Aug. 25 2011 at 11:45 pm
ellie315 GOLD, South Pasadena, California

"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." -- William Shakespeare

Fact of the matter is, the bible is pertinent to the message. It is the only tangible communication we as Christians have. All the stories of God's powerful acts of love and power are recorded in the Bible. 

The Jewish and Muslim faiths both acknowledge and worship the same God as the Christian faith - the historic difference (to simplify things) is the belief in the prophets (Christianity's is Jesus, Judaisism's is Abraham, and Muslim's is Muhammad). The Jewish "bible" (Torah) is in fact the old testament of the Christian bible. 

on Aug. 25 2011 at 9:32 am
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

I love love love this. And I feel the same way! For a while I've been neglecting to read my Bible, but now I've started reading again and really started to live a true Christian lifestyle with Jesus as my savior. I love God, and I know He loves me.

on Jul. 12 2011 at 9:21 pm
RosePetal519 BRONZE, Perrysburg, Ohio

"Carpe Diem" (Seize the Day)

You should watch the movie Joshua.  The "modern day Jesus" in the movie is asked what the Bible is and he responds "it's a love letter".  You totally captured that in your article, God bless you this was amazing.

Fluffy2772 said...
on Jul. 12 2011 at 1:53 am
Fluffy2772, McDonough, Georgia
Yeah, a loving God blesses all those children in africa with food. All those kids around the world who will die today from preventable disease. All of those 6 year old asian girls who are about to have sex with a 40 year old man because they are part of trafficking. He is so forgiving and kind to them.