Gun Violence Opinion | Teen Ink

Gun Violence Opinion

By AngelXVega BRONZE, Wilmington, California
AngelXVega BRONZE, Wilmington, California

"Choose Kind"

Hello, It’s me again, Angel O. You may know me as the teen that posted the article about the “Cake Shop Argument”. Well, I’m back and I’ve got a new topic to talk about. You may have heard the mass shooting in Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. 17 people were lost and other were badly injured. Such a waste of human life and I don’t know why a student or a single human being would do such a thing to another living being. Our group, Isabella M., Amiee R. and me, are taking action into the issue of gun violence and what solutions could there be to stop this issue. Our group thinks a solution to stop gun violence is background checks, especially mental/psychological background checks. You may have heard that President Trump is supporting the idea of arming teachers with guns, not on board with the idea. What if the teacher is not mentally stable and they use the gun to intimidate the student to do their work or if they have a missing assignment. We want gun shops to check to see if the person purchasing the gun is mentally/psychologically stable to buy the gun. Have them be taken into a room, run through tests to see if they have safe mindset and good history. If they are mentally unstable then deny the purchase and refuse them to buy the gun. Not only our group thinks about this but a website called criminalwatchdog, they stated,” If you decide to buy a gun from an FFL, you have to fill out a 4473 Form (also called a Firearms Transaction Record). After you fill out the form, the person selling you a gun will run your information through NICS, which is maintained by the FBI.

Running a background check through NICS takes about 30 seconds. If there is nothing on your record that prohibits you from buying a gun, you can go ahead with your purchase. You will not be allowed to purchase a gun if something in your record disqualifies you. Under the Brady Law, if there's something in your record that needs further investigation, then the FBI has three business days (not including the day they run your initial background check) to get back to you. If the FBI doesn't either approve or deny you after three business days, then you can go ahead and buy a gun.” Now this is what I was thinking about if the person runs a background check. After filling a form, they check if your mentally stable, if there is something that needs further investigation, then consider if they should purchase the gun. In other words, thank you for taking you time to read this and I appreciate it. Our group would be satisfied of your feedback and we’ll leave a link to a petition about stopping gun violence. Have a nice day.

I am disgusted that so many people died in that mass shooting and I want to take action. Please sign the petition!