Humane or Harmful? | Teen Ink

Humane or Harmful?

November 29, 2016
By leifitz SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
leifitz SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Capital punishment, also known as the death penalty, is a topic that brings up silence in conversation. The topic is so widely controversial people are afraid to talk about it. I’m here to talk.

With grave offenses, the United States government looks to this form of punishment and most of the U.S. population lets them proceed without argument. Sometimes, the people sent down death row are innocent. Sometimes, the people sent down death row had a clouded judgement during the crime. These are a few of the arguments made against the punishment. I’d like to counter that opinion.

I am pro the Constitution. Are you? If yes is your answer, I’d like you to consider this: Capital punishment is not unconstitutional. The eighth amendment prohibits the federal government from imposing cruel and unusual punishment. This, in itself, is a topic for later. However, without the death penalty, people’s rights of life, freedom, and safety are taken away. We have a right as Americans to a peaceful and harm-free life. Murder, assault, and rape do occur, and try as we may, they are unfortunately hard to prevent. The death penalty is showing that if you choose, and it is a choice, to take away a life, your life will be too. Justice to those who have taken away others rights to life, is important to me. They need to be accountable for their actions.

It is undeserving for those who kill to remain here, even if in jail. If they are sentenced to a lifetime of prison, rather than sentenced to death, questions arise. A lifetime of prison is a cost society should not have to pay for. The tax dollars being used to pay for these jail sentences should be going to improving education and healthcare. We cannot afford to keep these offenders alive, nor do we have the responsibility to. They have made their choice.

If capital punishment ensues, justice will be brought. Families will be able to properly grieve. It will deter the most violent and inhumane of crimes. It gives us a sigh of relief, that our lives are worth every cent.