What the American Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the American Flag Stands For

November 8, 2015
By 6shelp GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
6shelp GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My bags packed, my gas tank full, I embark on my journey across the United States. This trip will take me to places outside of my hometown in Kansas. This country is diverse–full of people who speak different languages, wear different clothing, and believe different things. This is the United States of America. And this is what the American flag stands for.


My first stop: the east coast. As I arrive in Charleston, South Carolina, I am greeted by the unique Charleston accent. Checking into my hotel room, the hotel concierge warmly suggests that I visit the “Cha-l-ston” museums, historic sites, and other attractions. I set off to explore the city. This is the United States of America. This is what the American flag stands for.


My second stop: the south. As I arrive in Birmingham, Alabama, I stop at a local gas station to grab a bag of Lay’s potato chips and a can of Coca Cola. The friendly man behind the counter, the other customers in the store, and the people walking by, are unlike anyone in my hometown–the majority of the people in this community are African American. I pay for my chips and soda and head to my hotel. This is the United States of America. This is what the American flag stands for.


My third stop: the west coast. As I arrive in Santa Ana, California, the salty beach air fills my nose. I check out a nearby surf shop in hopes of buying souvenirs for my family and friends. A resident notices I look out of place and insists I buy a pair of flip flops in order to remember this stop on my journey. “Flip flops are the shoes of choice here in Santa Ana,” he says. I purchase a pair, slide on my new kicks, and head back to the beach to get some sun before I head to my hotel. This is the United States of America. This is what the American flag stands for.


My fourth and final stop: the north. As I arrive in Green Bay, Wisconsin, I read billboards that say “FAMOUS CHEESE CURDS,” “Relax, It’s ok to drool and drive,” and “I love Wisconsin Cheese.” I follow one of the billboards to Scray Cheese Shoppe to taste these “famous” cheese curds. This is the most cheese I have ever seen–cheddar, spiced cheddar, provolone, swiss, edam, fontina, gouda, and more! The owner assembles a variety of cheeses for me and I head to my hotel. This is the United States of America. This is what the American flag stands for.
From the east to the west, from the north to the south, the people are different. But we all stand under the same American flag. Diversity is what the American flag stands for.