White Lies | Teen Ink

White Lies

By alexis0nicole_ BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
alexis0nicole_ BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

There is little to live for if you don't live for the little things.

Telling little white lies can be good for the soul, at least I think so.

Do you remember being young and saying, “He did it! She did it!” a hundred times a day, desperate for the chance of your mom or dad forgetting about the situation altogether or believing you.

But, c’mon, you were six, did you really think they took your word over the other child’s mother, father, etc.? No.
That’s why, from even the youngest of ages, telling white lies is a necessity.

When you walk into Starbucks, the diner you eat in every morning, or even Taco Bell, they immediately say, “Hey! How are you today?”, and what do you say? “Good, thanks,” usually. But are you always ‘good’? No. Why else would you be going to Starbucks at 8:30 p.m.? Because you have a final exam to study for that you’ve been stressing out about for three weeks, or because you have a 8-10 page research paper to write that’s due the next morning, and you’re only half way through.

That’s the thing about humans- we need white lies. They’re good for us. If we told everybody how we were feeling or what we were actually doing at all times of the day, there would be very little happiness.

At least, that’s just what I think.

Since turning 18, I've gained a perspective on life that has made me notice  the little things- things that matter, things that aren't insignificant. Open your eyes and you'll see them too.