Gun Violence | Teen Ink

Gun Violence

By RutvikS. BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
RutvikS. BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey

Gun Violence

Preventing gun violence is a political and public controversial issue. Gun ownership is a fundamental human right in the United States of America unlike other countries where it is a privilege. According to the New York Times it should reduce without affecting the Second Amendment of the Constitution which states (Bear Arms), “ A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Gun violence can be reduced, but not completely stopped. It’s truly sad and unfortunate that horrific news of gun violence at colleges, schools, malls, theaters, churches and other public places take away innocent lives, tear families, and pierce fear in the community.

One problem we face is that gun laws in the US allows anyone to purchase limitless amount of firearms told by The Joyce Foundation. A proposal to the congressman and legislators to amend the law to purchase only one firearm can help reduce gun violence. Another proposal to the congressman and legislators is to amend a law to renew the firearms permit probably every three years with a thorough background check and medical history to prevent any gun violence incidents. The firearm permit can be limited only to the residents in the US. Family members, school, or work places should have an ability to report or notify behavioral changes of a person for prevention of gun violence. The permit should be regulated the way driver’s license is regulated for teenagers from 16 years to 18 years. The local county based agency can have a Gun Violence Prevention program to evaluate, investigate, monitor or mitigate the gun violence. Another proactive step is to stop the illegal guns at the border and from reaching the criminals in the United States of America.

The most challenging task is to keep colleges, schools, malls, theaters, churches and other public places safe. There can be a solution to America’s gun violence and problems by overcoming the politically and publicly controversial issue said by the New York Times .

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/us/broader-approach-urged-to-reduce-gun-violence.html?_r

=0

http://www.joycefdn.org/programs/gun-violence-prevention/