Chivalry: Is it dead? | Teen Ink

Chivalry: Is it dead?

By andarsene SILVER, Bowie, Maryland
andarsene SILVER, Bowie, Maryland

Adolescents are not monsters. They are just people trying to learn how to make it among the adults in the world, who are probably not so sure themselves.

Do not all ladies love when young men treat them like a lady? Little acts that make them feel like they are important and remind them that not all men are abominations. Door holding is an overused example of an act of chivalry. So is paying the bill at a restaurant. These things are nice right? But chivalry is now becoming a dream that once was. Nowadays ladies have to open their own door, pay their own bills, and pull out their own chair! Unbelievable, right? Wouldn’t it be nice if chivalry existed outside of your personal fantasies? Maybe, somewhere out there, Chivalry isn’t dead. He’s on life support at a local hospital.

“Chivalry is the generic term for the knightly system of the Middle Ages and for virtues and qualities it inspired in its followers” (medieval-life.net). So in the name the advancement of women suffrage, men must revert back to the medieval way from a monarchist system even though we, of the United States, clearly believe in democracy. Men should be like the princes on Disney. Dashing, charming, and chivalrous are just a few traits. If men want to be treated as if they are the almighty kings of the household then we women should be treated like the female equivalent: queens. But in our corrupt, incredibly confusing, demeaning, hypocritical society if we want things one way there are a million reasons why we shouldn’t have it that way. Oh, you want to reanimate chivalry? You cannot because, “I am an independent woman. I don’t need no man doing things for me.” You cannot because, “Why should I help you do this or that? You’re capable right?” You can’t because, “Global warming.” It’s an increasing problem, people!