Stop This Madness! | Teen Ink

Stop This Madness!

By NothingButAli GOLD, Silver Lake, Indiana
NothingButAli GOLD, Silver Lake, Indiana

"The best things in life are better left unseen. that's why we close our eyes when we cry, kiss, and dream"- Anonymous

Why do we have to call obesity an epidemic? Yeah America is the most over weight out of all the countries, but what if it’s just because they can’t help it, do people ever think of that one. I mean come on, why does everyone think that you have to be skinny to be beautiful? It’s not true, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I think that if you have a good heart than you ARE beautiful, and beauty is not the definition of perfect ladies, your heart is.
Let me tell you something, I am tired of hearing of all these news cast and weight loss infomercials saying that being over weight Is ugly, granted its not healthy, but it makes us teenage girls scared out of our minds to even gain a fraction of a pound! Do you people ever think about who you’re affecting when you say the things you do?
Girls have been told one thing their entire lives by the media, skinny skinny, skinny equals Pretty, Beautiful, popular, and Awesome. WRONG! You are pretty, Beautiful, popular, and Awesome if you believe in yourself, that’s all. Confidence is key and the media… isn’t giving it to us.

I want My Gender of Teenage girls to understand that The media is only giving us junk, and not to listen to what they think perfect is.

on Apr. 28 2011 at 8:49 am

No you’re all right. Being over weight is unhealthy, but I wanted to confer that just because you are doesn’t mean you’re not beautiful. You should try and be as healthy as possible. I’m sorry I didn’t get that across.

peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

It's true! Everyone is beautiful, whether they be big, small, tall, short, blond hair, dark hair, dark or light skin. However, I believe that being obese is a health problem and I hope America's health improves so our citizens can live longer, healthier lives. For those out there that feel ugly or have low self-esteem, you are great and beautiful!!!

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

While I do agree with you on being proud of your body --- but you have to keep in mind that obesity affects our health as well. That's a major reason why a lot of nutrigional agencies are telling us to lose weight.

Lilliterra said...

I partially agree with you, however you also have to remember that if one actually is obese, then losing weight is less about looking good than about health. Also people often gain weight because of poor diets that will make them unhealthy in other ways, i.e. diabetes.

I do think that some people just have a large build, and you're right of course that the media is deceiving us and often pressuring us to be something we're not. But of course this is no reason to put health issues aside.

Hejlna said...
What you say is very true, in my opinion. Beauty is in the heart and soul, not in the body.