A simple definition. | Teen Ink

A simple definition.

September 2, 2010
By elizabethr PLATINUM, Lynnville, Indiana
elizabethr PLATINUM, Lynnville, Indiana
23 articles 0 photos 4 comments

You are my hero.


Simple words at most…meaningless when used separately yet when whispered in our ear as a whole they mean the world to us. Countless generations have been misled, been told that it took a uniform or saving someone’s life to be a hero. Little do they know that we have millions of heroes in our midst.



It doesn’t take putting your life in danger to be a hero in someone’s eyes. Mothers and fathers alike are some of the bravest heroes I know. They gave up a life of simplicity, a life of reduced responsibility for their sons and/or daughters. Every day they wake up and choose to stay by their children’s side, even when all they want to do is scream, let it all go, and just walk away…


A soldier, officer, fireman, nurse, doctor, and many others all wear a coat of heroism. They are praised for their works, their life-saving accomplishments. They go down in history, not all are known to the world, but never forgotten by at least one person. These uniformed civilians can look at you with humbled eyes, a simple look; yet they were the very ones who saved another’s life…ceased death in its tracks.




To me, a hero is a simple person. A person who puts all before himself, does everything in his power to take away his loved one’s suffering. A hero is one who loves something enough to protect it…no matter the cost. They are no different than us; lungs breathing, heart pumping, body inhabiting, human beings. As impossible as it may seem we, ourselves, can be a hero…a person who is looked up to and respected.