If I Were the Mayor of My Town, I'd Embrace Everyone's Identity | Teen Ink

If I Were the Mayor of My Town, I'd Embrace Everyone's Identity

November 30, 2018
By jadag12 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
jadag12 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The United States is considered a melting pot, because it is made up of different people and different cultures from around the world. I am proud to be part of this rich culture. In my school, there are children of different nationalities. As a group, we work together to promote and share our cultures. As children in school, we are taught to promote Americanism and love of country. For me the American Dream is to graduate high school and college, get a high paying job, but most important operate my own business, and lastly be able to provide and support my family. I also think everyone should be able to have that opportunity no matter their race, disability, or religion.


If I were the mayor of my town, I would encourage people to be civic minded, meaning that they should go out and vote because it is our civic duty for us vote and choose who we want to represent us and our town. I would also enforce that everyone be treated as equals no matter their race, religion, or physical ability. Therefore, if someone has some type of disability we shouldn't just completely disregard them and leave them out because that is not how we were brought up. We are all humans, so we treat others the way we want to be treated, especially if we were in their position.


As I watch the debates, I realize that this is something that really isn’t enforced. Adults often forget that kids are watching, and that their behavior could rub off. They also forget the sacrifices that were made by others so that we could all live the American dream. I started to wonder how our leaders are supposed to be the people we look up to if they themselves cannot be civic minded, cooperative, and mindful of all people and cultures?


In conclusion, you should be cooperative in a group, because a group is only strong if everyone pitches in. I am taught in school to support everyone in my group, and we are graded as a group not individually. This teaches kids to put all of our ideas together and come up with a solution that represents all of us. That’s what taught me to be a team player and an American.


The author's comments:

My name is Jada G., I  attend middle school in Brooklyn, New York. When I grow up I want to be involved with politics and change the world.