Is Water Wet? | Teen Ink

Is Water Wet?

May 25, 2018
By S'Nova BRONZE, Mill VAlley, California
S'Nova BRONZE, Mill VAlley, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

If you've been on the internet at all recently, you've probably heard the question “Is Water Wet?” Honestly, it’s a tough question to answer with extremely convincing explanations from both sides. I can’t say that i’m able to answer it, but i’m able to provide you with evidence to help you elude to your own answer to the universal question.


To fully answer this predicament, first we need to look at what it means to be “wet”. Wetness is seen as when water or another liquid comes into contact with something such as yourself. On a personal level, it can be described as the result of a liquid flowing over ones skin, according to a blogger on thegaurdian. Now that we have taken a look at what it means for something to be wet, lets leap to the larger matter in question.


WATER ISN’T WET:
Water is a fluid within itself, adding water to water does not make it wet, it is simply increasing the volume of water. Wetness is the process  of infringement on ones natural state: when something is natural dry and comes into contact with water, it is now wet. Water cannot “get wet” because it is already liquid.


WATER IS WET:
Water is wet the same way that air is dry and fire is hot. Something being wet means that it is containing water or in contact with water molecules. When your shirt is wet, there are water molecules among the molecules of your shirt. Water does meet all these criteria, therefor it is wet.


Wetness could also be put on a spectrum:
Dry
Damp
Moist
Soaking
Dripping


Imagine a paper towel. This paper towel is dry. Now take the paper towel and expose it to a single drop of water. The towel can now be considered damp. Using the same paper towel, expose it to roughy a teaspoon of water. We can call this Moist. Now pour water on the paper towel until it can no longer soak any more up. Now the paper towel is soaking wet. Next, by dunking it into a tank of water and pulling it out, you can visually tell that it is dripping and can no longer be any wetter than it already is. At this point we can safely say that we have 80% water and 20% paper. What if we made it 90% water and 10% paper? It is still wet. Let’s take it up a notch and throw the towel into the ocean. We can round up the water content to 100% considering how vast the ocean is. At this point our 100% water is still wet.


***


So is water wet or not? It mostly depends on how you like to think about what it means to be wet. The concrete definition doesn’t mean anything until you apply the word to your own definition. Stay Thirsty Friends.