Since When Does Size Matter? | Teen Ink

Since When Does Size Matter?

By Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington
Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

By the time you are done reading this you will have wasted 10 seconds of your life.

Summer vacation. A time for every teen to sit back, relax, and enjoy the pureness of the world without teachers. You may find some teens sitting at home playing video games, watching TV., trying to get all that smartness gunk out of their heads, but there are others who are out trying to soak up all the sun they can.

Girls are crowding into stores for the hottest bikinis, tankinis, and summer clothes. Short shorts, mini skirts, push up bras, and spaghetti straps are bought by the tons. Most girls are out on the beach every day trying to get some hot life guard’s attention. Boys stop and stare. Why? You may ask, well, every teenage girl is wearing a swimming suit that barely gives any room for imagination.

There is barely any beach or pool without teeny tiny little bikinis. This generation has shown more skin than any other. They feel that size matters. Show more, get more guys. Easy huh? Not so much. As the fabric used to make clothes decreases, the price increases. Little scraps of material are all that’s left of what used to be a one piece. Shorts that barely cover more than underwear are selling for loads of money. Now honestly, if your going to pay so much to cover so little than why bother? If you really want to show off what you have than why don’t you just go around naked? I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

Maybe I should bring to your attention that more and more woman are getting breast implants. What’s up with that? Yeah, they want em’ bigger. Bigger is best, right? The more you have, the more you can show, right? Wrong. Let me remind you that breasts aren’t just for showing off, the reason girls have them is so someday they’ll be able to nurse a baby. So why do we show them off with our itsy bitsy bikinis? Because someone decided that how big or small they were actually meant something. Meant you were more pretty, sexier.

So many people have been blinded by this belief. Celebrities pound this in our brains with every magazine we look at. When everyone around us is saying, “This is right! Biggest is best!” It’s hard to see anything else but that. Girls always want to be pretty, so when they see celebrities wearing barely any clothes and getting breast implants they think the only way they’ll be liked is if the do that. And so the cycle continues.

It seems to me that there are only two sizes of clothes for girls these days. Small and extra small. Making sizes to fit more than the super skinny girls seems non-existent. Can’t we all embrace that we all have different bodies? Do we have to be that perfect picture on the front of a magazine?

So ladies, take this into consideration next time your buying your summer bathing suit, do you really need to show off quite so much? To every one of you, you are perfect as you are and clothes, size, and styles should not make a difference no matter what other girls show or tell you.

on Mar. 21 2016 at 10:33 am
BGIRL4LIFE BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"I WAS BORN TO MAKE MISTAKES, BUT NOT FAKE PERFECTION"-DRIZZY DRAKE

@Sheridan I love your article so much please keep up the good work:)

on Oct. 4 2014 at 4:37 pm
Tbh, I am from Hawaii, so it is the natural thing to do to soak up some sun. Sure, some girls want to impress guys, but some girls just love the beach and some of us don't wear super revealing bikinis, just ones with a really nice color or pattern, like bruh, it shows confidence and it also means that you're confident, relaxed, and that you go with the flow...so basically I mostly disagree with this article.

Namama36 said...
on Jan. 24 2014 at 1:24 am
Namama36, Summer Looms , Idaho

I am bold, expressive and unique. Nationis Coniunge!

I am thin with relativley large breast. I was always told i should be a model, by teachers, kids, parents, shop owners and property managers. It wasnt always a complement, because some people meant that, that was the only thing i was good for. Most peolple in my area dress up like flabby hookers with mis-hap hair and caked on makeup atop of clogged pores.I try to be different, and you can find reasonably priced, desighner like clothes in 2-4, depending on the company.

on Jan. 18 2012 at 9:57 am
JoslynneMarieS BRONZE, Colton, South Dakota

I believe that life is a prize but to live doesnt mean your alive

I totally agree^^

on Dec. 27 2011 at 9:13 am
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

You know what I've always been wondering? Bras and underwear cover about the same amount (usually more) than those kinds of bikinis and bathing suits, right? So why are people so cautious about not being seen in underclothes but not in swimwear (unless of course you have some really embarrassing underclothes)? I asked my friends and family and they all just said "because the clothes have different uses". But so what? It's doing the same thing for you.

on Dec. 4 2011 at 7:54 pm
KindallNicole BRONZE, Grantsboro, North Carolina

Courage doesn\'t always roar, sometimes it\'s the thing at the end of the day saying,\"I\'ll try again tomorrow.\"

Atfer reading this article, at first I agreed. The I though about it some more. I am one of those skinny girls. I wear bikinni's that maybe are a little too revealing. But, hey, I also wear normal everyday clothing. I don't think it's wrong to show some skin. It shows not only confidence, but it makes more guys notice you, because that's what guys are looking for sadly. Every girl wants to feel like they are attractive.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 8 2011 at 4:06 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Also, in summer, it's super hot... and I'd rather wear a bikini and short-shorts instead of covering up with clothes... I don't think there's anything wrong with showing skin.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 8 2011 at 4:03 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

Nice article! It should be noted that guys are instinctively attracted to women with more curvaceous bodies because it means they are more fertile. (Our old cave-man instincts kicking in! :P) So that could explain why some guys like "big b.oobs", etc.

But I think that size shouldn't matter. Girls are all beautiful in their own way. And anyone who's too superficial to pay attention to girls who don't fit their standards isn't worth anyone's time.

on Aug. 7 2011 at 2:00 am
Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

I completely agree, I'm the same way. It is sooo hard sometimes to find clothes that fit my chest and often I have to just buy it and deal with my friends bugging me about how my shirt won't contain me. Please understand I wrote this years ago and my opinions have changed a lot since then.

on Jul. 23 2011 at 8:21 pm
midnightsilence PLATINUM, Hilltowns, Massachusetts

There are consequences for your actions

I get what you're trying to say and all...the whole idea that everyone's different and that the media makes skinny people in less than less clothing seem so great, but in saying that we all have different bodies you should understand that some of us have bigger breasts or smaller bodies naturally, and because the media shows that less is more, it's hard to cover that up...you can't always blame that large chested girl for showing off her boobs: sometimes the clothes she finds are the only ones that fit...I personally am large chested and I figure, "If ya got it, might as well flaunt it"

on Jan. 7 2011 at 2:00 pm
KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas

"Think left and thing right, Think low and Think High, Oh the thinks you can think up, if only you try!" Dr. Suess oh and "Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'- Albert Einstein

I agree with Magsie. It is really hard to find clothes that aren't really weird looking for overweight people. Trust me, I speak from experience.

on Dec. 26 2010 at 7:45 pm
maggierebekah BRONZE, Woodstock, Illinois

"i think there is no world without theatre."

1. is it really that hard to radiate confidence while being fully clothed? i mean really?

2. i am overweight. it may not be harder for me to find clothing that fits me, but it sure is harder to find attractive, pretty clothing that fits me. most clothing for overweight girls have obnoxious floral patterns, or are completely covered in sequins and sparkles. it seems impossible to find plus sized clothing that isn't tacky and disgusting.

on Nov. 26 2010 at 10:32 am
thebushhippie PLATINUM, Sandown, New Hampshire

Leave behind your own footprints! :0)

I liked this article a lot. It's so true!

on Oct. 31 2010 at 12:16 am
t.i.m.n_w PLATINUM, Iqaluit, Other

When oppertunites come, don't be afraid to try for them, they might open doors to bigger and better things.

you don't think we know?-i'm not a size zero, i don't fit in stupid "popular" clothing, clothing is clothing. do you, really know what it's like to be talked about behind you back? DO YOU???? it's hurtful and a disgrace, a person is a person no matter what size, and all people have feelings, people talking behind your back is cowardice, if people want to make fun of people, they should do it to their faces, it gives us a chance for a comeback.

on Oct. 9 2010 at 12:34 am
Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

i completely agree, it really depends on the guy

on Oct. 8 2010 at 7:35 pm
icingonthecake BRONZE, Riverside, California
I know guys that like small breasts on girls. Guys actually prefer petite girls. It's possible for a guy to be in love with someone who's a 34-B :)

on Sep. 29 2010 at 8:46 pm
JRsingersongwriter GOLD, HB, California

"It's one thing to put yourself in someone's shoes. It's another to walk around in them." -Me!

I like this article. it reminds me of another issue: obesity. i myself am really small (4'10) so i have trouble finding cute clothes that fit me... my mom has a lot of trouble because she is size petite (she's 4'11) and now the petite sizes have been made larger because obese people want to say, "Oh yeah i shopped in the petite section" but now mom can't fit anything! ;) lol

hailey123456 said...
on Sep. 3 2010 at 6:21 pm
I totally agree, it is the small girls who have a hard time fitting into clothes. (believe me!!)

on Aug. 8 2010 at 11:01 am
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

Totally, everyday I go to the pool and practically every girl there is wearing a bikini. But while the amount of people getting breast surgery increases, so does the amount of surgery for breast reduction. And personally I don't get why biggere is better.

on Jun. 25 2010 at 1:21 pm
SocialCollision SILVER, Hampton, Georgia

\"When we\'re taught to love everyone, to love our enemies, What value does that place on love?\" Marilyn Manson

Size, I'm finding doesn't matter as much as it used to. Notice that when you go to a beach, pool, lake, etc... you find more than one person who is very large in the tummy, then notice that they try to pull off a string bikini. My opinion is, If they want to look tacky and clueless let them. They want to show off their belly, let them. They should just now that people talk about them and how awful they look behind  their back.