My Problem With Reality TV | Teen Ink

My Problem With Reality TV

By T-Dawg BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
T-Dawg BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

"Oh, he's rude to everyone," said Isabelle airly. "It's what makes him so darn sexy."

Clary looked at her, perplexed. "isn't he your brother?" - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Picture this: It is a dark rainy saturday afternoon and anybody you’d hang out with is busy. So you turn on your TV, hoping to find something that will ease your boredom. The first thing that appears is the brain assaulting stressed out voice of Khloe Kardashian.

“You don't care if you could possibly get breast cancer?” said Kris Kardashian, Khloe’s mother.

“We’re all going to die,” screamed Khloe Kardashian in her usual annoying voice that most reality TV stars have.

It completely and utterly revolts me whenever this happens. I don't understand how people could honestly watch this for long periods of time. Some of the drama in the show looks so fake and forced, it seems stupid.

Also, the attitude of the people sometimes really ticks me off.. Some reality TV stars are selfish and spoiled so much. I was once channel surfing when I came upon this.

“Happy birthday!” cheered many people, surprising a girl walking out of a building.

An older woman, possibly her mother, walked up to her. “To celebrate your 22nd birthday, we got you a new car!” She pointed to a shiny new silver sports car.

Now, here is the part where you think she would be all happy and everything. However things seem to be different.

The girl started to get red in the face and in the most dramatic voice she could muster she wailed “I told you I wanted a blue car! You always mess up everything, you make me feel so bad!”

She then stormed away, weeping.

While I knew that this genre of television had the ability to be full of drama, I never knew it could come to this extent. The ridiculousness of that was off the charts.

Something that torments me even more is when people act like reality television stars in real life. On television is one thing, but when it comes to real life it’s a whole other story. These reality TV shows are made to influence drama and keep people who view them interested, but nobody wants to listen to someone in real life act like the iconic Kardashian family.

When I walk down Circuit Ave in the summer, I’ll occasionally pass a group of older teenage girls acting the exact same way that I’d see the Kardashians act. They try to use their best impression to copy the words of all the Kardashian’s most dramatic moments, and do it forever and ever.

If you do these things, don't feel bad, just stop doing it. It gets old so quickly and irritates people. These people on TV shows aren't going to stop anytime soon, but you can help your everyday guy like me by just realizing enough is enough.

In this piece, I talk about how reality TV makes me feel annoyed.