Video Games | Teen Ink

Video Games

January 19, 2016
By Anonymous

According to Jane McGonigal from TED talks and conversation,there are about 5 million gamers in the United States and they are all spending about 40 hours a week playing online,computer or cell phone games (TED) Conversation Archives).Based on McGonigal’s information,one can conclude that gaming can be an interesting and fun approach to “killing time”for many individuals including bored students,office workers and adults.Other than the potential to seriously waste away one’s time,gaming has two other major negative features including the potential for to do poorly in school work and the potential for serious health problems to arise.

             

Gaming is a poor way of spending time and should not be encouraged in society.Nowadays,this habit is more commonly done through the use of a cell-phone.The idea of gaming does not seem bad in itself but rather the contents of the game are what shock most.If the game is filled with violent,aggressive behavior as well as encouraging the consumption or use of drugs and alcohol,then the time spent playing that game is not only foolish way of spending time but also a dangerous way. Studies show that the “exposure to violent video games is linked to lower empathy and decreased kindness”(ProCon.org).
     
             

Gaming can result in a negative academic outcomes for young students.Most teenagers do not notice how much time they can spend or gaming when they are supposed to be studying for next week’s math test or writing an essay.A person who games can focus all of their attention on getting on the next level in the game or getting all of those gems in “Clash of Clans”and other rewards,and all of the attention to remembering a formula for algebra is gone and forgotten.

 

 If one spends time staring at a screen for several hours it makes sense that gaming can result in possible health problems.Health problems ranging from eye-sight problems or vitamin deficiencies make sence if you consider how little time a teeneager can exercise,there is no point to it, especially if it can lead to potential weight gain and having to wear glasses all the time.
             
            

Based on these three negative outcomes of gaming,a person reading this essay may or may not find gaming less appealing.It is the time wasted or spent ona game,the bad grades young students can get from spending too much time on gaing and the health problems that can result  from prolonged gaming that cna really open a person’s eyes.Unless everyone  responsiblitiy controlls their time,study well and stay healthy while gaming occasionally,gaming should not be encouraged in society in any way or form.


The author's comments:

I hope people will underatand that you have keep your timing right on gaming.