Hourglass | Teen Ink

Hourglass

By @99_shootingstar GOLD, Singapore, Other
@99_shootingstar GOLD, Singapore, Other

We make choices but sometimes, choices are what make us.

Time. Many people have different interpretations of time.

But to me, I think that time is a structure we humans create to provide some form of uniformity in our life. Imagine if we do not have time, how else would we know when to report to school, when to wake up, when to eat, when to sleep? You might not realize it, but almost everything we do is influenced by time.

Time; it has it good and bad. Time is a ticking bomb, counting down every second we have. It measures the duration of every single day.

Who said one day had 24 hours? Who said we have to eat breakfast in the morning, lunch in the afternoon and dinner in the evening? All these are influenced by time.

We all have different interpretations of time because time brings about differing changes in our life.

To a terminally ill patient, time could be nothing but a ticking time bomb. It counts down the amount of breaths you can take, it counts down the number of times you will be able to wake up and see the faces of your loved ones. Time gives you the finality of your life, because of time, you are afraid of death. You are afraid of dying because you now know when it will happen.

To a child, time is nothing but a carefree measure of their day. Each day they live their lives happily, with no worries about life, with no worries about how much time they have left for the day. Time tells them when it is nap time and snack time, things we cherished in our younger days.

To a student, time could be a stress factor. We check our watches constantly, to see how much time we have till lessons end, how much time we left to study for examinations and how much time we have for sleep. Time is always there in a student’s life, simply because we rely on it too much. Everything is based on time, for example after 7.30am, you are considered late for school. Have you ever wondered how we would get on with our lives without time?

To a runner, time could be a measure of success. His run timings of even a mere millisecond could make a difference to his sporting career. In sports like swimming and running, how else would you determine the capability of the athlete without measuring his time for a particular race?

Lastly, time make room for regrets. Some things only happen once, and if we did not grab that opportunity then it wouldn’t repeat again. We often blame time for going too fast when we ourselves, run out of time. What we don’t realize is that, time flies but we fly through time. If we do not make the best out of today, then when?

You see, time plays such an important role in our lives that sometimes we take it for granted. And because we created this structure called time, you will realize that you are living life in a continuous cycle. You sleep at 11 every night and wake up at 5 in the morning. You eat breakfast at 6am, lunch at 12pm and dinner at 6pm. There is some sort of regularity in our life due to the existence of time.

We must not forget that time is represented in many ways; in the form of seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, decades, centuries, and  millenniums. Put together all this and you get a calendar, with a year having approximately 365 days. How do we know that it takes 365 days for the earth to complete one round around the Sun? Time calculates it.

Time also serves as a reminder that we are growing up. 10 years ago, we were so different from how we are now. We grew, from a baby to a toddler, to a child, teenager, adult then elderly. Time shows the different stages in life we go through. We age through time, and we are reminded that we are growing old and going to die one day.

Have you ever wondered how life would be without time?  You will be going around in circles, having no sense of direction and pattern because you have the choice to decide the uniformity of your life.

Imagine if we did not have a sundial. Would we have advanced to such a technology-dominated world today? For technological advancements, there had to be some sort of measure of time to achieve the results we wanted. And without time, it would not be possible.

At the end of the day, time merely is non-existent. I repeat, time does not exist. Yes it’s all a form of imaginations. Time is ambiguous because humans all think differently and have different perspectives of what time is in our life.

if not now, then when?