LOL=D | Teen Ink

LOL=D MAG

November 30, 2009
By Lauren Burkhalter BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
Lauren Burkhalter BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You've heard it before … that incessant clicking in the middle of the new hit box-office release. The beeping of buttons as you try to carry on a conversation. The snap of a cell phone as the person you are talking to mumbles an apology about the text they just have to answer – the one that's so important it can't wait. Texting in the middle of conversations, movies, or any other event where it is otherwise inappropriate to talk is as rude as answering the phone.

Texting has always seemed unnecessary to me, and has successfully interrupted many a movie and halted conversations in their tracks. I am not against texting as an alternative form of communication, but the constant beeping and clicking of buttons during events and conversations is irksome, irritating, and just plain rude! No one can claim to have manners when, as they talk, they are also staring at a tiny screen and typing a note to their “bff, Jill.”

Supporters say that texting is useful in situations where calling is not permitted; it is less obtrusive and more easily ignored than a phone call, perhaps even more polite. However, while texting does not involve speaking out loud, it is still an interruption and therefore still can be considered just as rude.

Why can't people ever wait to answer a text? Unlike a phone call, a text will sit patiently in the inbox until answered. The text will not go anywhere unless the phone spontaneously combusts. So why is it that most people – adults and teens alike – find it necessary to immediately respond to a text at any time of the day or night, no matter what is going on around them?

Maybe I am old-fashioned. Perhaps I haven't caught up with the times. Maybe I was raised differently, or maybe I am just plain weird. Whatever the case, I consider texting in the middle of a conversation, a movie, or a lecture ridiculous and unnecessary.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 41 comments.


TheBestJay said...
on Jan. 14 2021 at 4:08 pm
TheBestJay, Cherydalerd, Arkansas
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
You will face a lot of challenging in life 💔😭... But don't let that bring you down stay strong💪🏽 and will achieve anything you set your mind 🧠 on!! 👍🏽

i agree with everyone i'm not really a big word type of person but yeah if your speaking with someone and you get some kind of notification on your phone can't you just wait until you conversation is over but no you just desperate just to look at your phone now what if...something happens some man tells you something very important but instead of listening to him you messaging your boyfriend or friends..Now when your alone your lost somewhere cause you haven't listened to the man in the first place so yea i get what yall are feelings phones are a waste of time that's why we have a world go explore or jog with you buddies or atleast walk your dog for 20 to 30 minutes do anything active outside to forget about you and the phone.

on Feb. 12 2019 at 6:54 pm
SiennaGiraffeJR23, Toronto, Ontario
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I agree, our school does not allow phone use in school but I've seen friends and other students using phones in the middle of class and half the guys in my class don't know how to read a regular clock and even some of the girls don't know how to either.

on Jul. 8 2013 at 6:14 pm
I totally agree with you. All of this texting, social networking and other forms of technology is ruining our generation. It's numbing the minds of kids everyday. A lot of kids in my school ares so used to checking the time on their cell phones and digital watches, that they've actually forgotten how to read a regular analog clock! If this is what technology is doing to us now, I definitely don't want to see what it will be like in 20 years!

on Dec. 30 2011 at 9:46 pm
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia
35 articles 0 photos 1398 comments

Favorite Quote:
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Ahh the perils of living in the Age of Technology. You are right of course---texting is getting to be a real problem. Nowadays, so many interruptions occur because people cannot live without technology in their lives for just a few minutes. TV, phones, Internet--are all obstacles preventing people from carrying on the art of conversation. So good job in addressing this issue. Though technology exists to lessen the burdens in our lives, it could be doing more harm than good.

on Jan. 8 2011 at 9:35 pm
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 324 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I definitely agree with you. I now have 4 less friends because one day, I went up to them and said, "I am sick and tired of you guys ignoring me in favor of your phones. I'd like some respect. So please, choose your friend over your phone!" And do you know what they did? They chose their phones! Obnoxious, rude, and just plain annoying. I wish more people had your point of view. We would have a much better world.

on Dec. 28 2010 at 12:20 pm
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
32 articles 2 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

EXACTLY! I mean sure I would like a phone, but so that I could talk to my friends about important stuff or to tell my mom that we got back from the cross country meet and she needs to pick me up because its freezing. NOT so that I can have mindless chatter and meaningless conversations about nothing! "hay" "wassup" "not much wbu" "same" "thants kewl" I mean really? They talked about nothing! I hate when people abuse a privilege when some people don't have that privilege

on Dec. 26 2010 at 6:37 pm
maggierebekah BRONZE, Woodstock, Illinois
3 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"i think there is no world without theatre."

i have a friend who calls her phone "baby," too.

one time we went on an overnight field trip where no electronics were allowed, and they were confiscated before we even left school grounds.(the place had had trouble with inappropriate phone usage.) meanwhile my friend was going "they can't take away my baby!!! i need it!!! they're going to hurt it!!! i swear to god, if i even see a scratch on it when i get it back, i am suing the school!!!" i just wanted to smack her and yell "IT'S A FREAKING PHONE. GET OVER IT."


on Oct. 29 2010 at 1:13 am
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

It's really rude when people randomly stop talking to you because they got a text. 

I was talking to a girl and her phone beeped and I asked her if she had a text. And she said it didn't matter and continued talking to me. It made me feel happy. :D

esist SILVER said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 4:43 pm
esist SILVER, North Richland Hills, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 24 comments
Not really sure who you are or anything about you so it can't really be directed to you. Just saying that I know people who do that and I find it sad but that's just my opinion. I was talking about people in my situation, who don't have text but is talking to someone who does. Just always thought it was rude when they're not even paying attention to me because they're so busy texting whoever they are. Conversations that go 'Uh huh...yeah. Oh cool' in a banal voice just seem pointless to me. Just saying here.

anonymous said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:55 pm
Well, if you're directing this comment to me, I don't freak out over eye shadow or lip gloss. I know that you shouldn't text while having a conversation. Sometimes I do, but the other person does it too, so if they do it, I feel like I have a right to as well.

on Oct. 12 2010 at 8:59 pm
lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other
3 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are many causes for which I would die for, but none for which I would kill.
-Ghandi

I love this article. I hate texting. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who trys to hold a conversation wiht someone who is continualyy texting and not even responding to my talking. Urg, I have this love/hate relashion ship with tecnology.

esist SILVER said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 7:58 pm
esist SILVER, North Richland Hills, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 24 comments
Had to add this article as one of my favorite. I find it extremely rude when people drop a conversation I'm having with them just to answer a text. If that person is important enough to drop a conversation, then why the heck don't aren't you talking to them instead of me? And I really can't believe how obsessed people are with their phone. My friend had a choir concert and complained 'I'm not going to have access to my phone for 15 whole hours. FIFTEEN WHOLE HOURS'. That's when you should lay off the texting and being on your own. And I only have a cell phone for emergencies and contact (through a real phone call) with my family or friends who have either moved or go to a different school than me. My phone doesn't even have texting and when I told my friend that she said: 'Like oh my gosh...so I actually have to call you and verbally communicate with you if I want to speak with you? Like seriously?'. That really ticked me off and another one of my friend said: 'How in the world do you survive life without texting? What is wrong with you?' Clearly there is something wrong with you and not me, my friend. I find an actual call is much more meaningful than a text. And before I get entirely too carried away and forget why I even wrote this entire post, I agree with 110% all the way and loved that you were proud enough to say 'hey I'm not like the rest of the teenagers around in the world. :D Thanks~

esist SILVER said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 7:52 pm
esist SILVER, North Richland Hills, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 24 comments
I don't see how 'texting is a way of life'. People can and still do live perfectly fine without being able to text someone every five seconds. If you have to interrupt a conversation to answer an oh so important text, then why don't you just meet up with them if they're that important? Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't ignore something if they're standing right next to you, but this person isn't. They might not even be in the same building for all you know. And they're more than likely with someone else. Does it really kill you to wait until a passing period, lunch, or after school to talk to someone? I see why texting might be useful if you're in an emergency (A real one please. Not ones where your eye shadow or whatever is messed up. And yes, I have seen people freak over that). Clearly, you're past that line of too far

anonymous said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 7:00 pm

I think texting is just different for everyone. Yeah, I text a lot, I'll be one of the first to say that, but if you know where to draw the line, then you're okay. For example, if I take my phone when I'm out (to the library or something) I just use it in the car and don't take it with me when I'm in a public place. 

And I see where you're coming from, texting does get annoying, but I turn my sounds off because it actually annoys ME. 


on Oct. 12 2010 at 6:55 pm
I was just like you until I got a phone and I'm not super obsessed (I don't call it my 'baby') but your friend is kind of right, you have to get it to understand it....O.o

on Oct. 9 2010 at 12:11 pm
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
32 articles 2 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Dear Shelby A.,

First off let me just say, what a typical teenager you are. You say you can't live without your phone? Ha, you know, before cell phones were invented there was this thing called conversations when you got together with your friends and just talked about things, not texted. And second, not everyone turns the sound for the keys on silent, I'm sure thats what she was talking about. I'm gald you can deal with it but for some people it can be a bit anoying if every two seconds theres a million beeping sounds going off right after each other. And lastly, you say texting is a way of life? So, texting, its a career, a family, and a home,? Because thats what life is. Its called responsibility, you should try it some time.


on Oct. 9 2010 at 11:59 am
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
32 articles 2 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

I'm not allowed to have a cell phone until I'm 15, and I'm 13 at the moment. I see all my friends, as soon as schools over the phones  come out. I never really understood the craze. My friend calls her phone her baby, and my other friends say they couldn't live with out their cell phone. Well one time, I asked my friend, "Why are you so obsessed?" she simply stated "You'll know when you get one." Well, I guess I won't know until I get one, but for right now I think it's just stupid.

LF28 said...
on Oct. 6 2010 at 5:06 pm
I'm not really sure if you should be commenting on her grammar when you don't even capatalize your sentences.

emmak said...
on Sep. 12 2010 at 3:38 pm
wow, did you honestly just say texting was a way of life? it honestly doesn't seem to be doing you much good considering your grammar and spelling was WAY off. we'll mean "we will" while mean "during" just so you know. also, there are three versions of the word "there" and you used the incorrect one. it should have been they're not there. maybe if you stopped texting and payed attention in class you would have learned that back in english class. texting is a way of life? get real. 

on Aug. 15 2010 at 8:42 pm
VioletsandVoice, Spiritwood, North Dakota
0 articles 0 photos 170 comments
i've never been one of those teenagers with the keyboard of their phone glued to their fingers so I guess that makes me weird and old-fashioned too :)