Music Heals | Teen Ink

Music Heals

March 28, 2023
By 26hs01 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
26hs01 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The world has many, many people struggling with some kind of mental health issue. It’s mostly teenagers that struggle but that does not mean adults can’t also struggle with it. It is very hard to stay happy, entertained, or even motivated. “It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices.” says the article called “About Mental Health” from the CDC. Everyone has a hard time finding things that can help them feel better or maybe just feel something. Surprisingly music is one of the top things that make anyone feel better when or if someone is dealing with any kind of mental health issues. Music can heal some negative feelings in anyone's body which is most likely depression but it could be any other mental health problem. Normally music can help with a lot of things like obviously people’s mental health, it can be used as a distraction and an escape for everyone. So I will be telling everyone some stuff about mental health, how music is used as a distraction for us teens and some adults, and it is a way for people to escape the world when they want to.

When anyone has depression or a different mental health issue it almost feels like they are trapped in a different world 24/7. People are also tired all of the time and they never want to get out of bed, they just lay there and stay there for hours and hours without moving a single bone in their body. Anyone wants to leave this world because they don’t enjoy anything, nothing excites them, and the thought of anyone saying “why am I here” to themself all of the time is even worse and more tiring. “When our health is failing and all remedies have been exhausted, we have to learn how to live with the limitations of our bodies.” says an author from PsychCentral, Gerti Schoen, MA, LP on February 11, 2012. When anyone wants to get away from the world for a little bit, most teenagers’ first move is to put their headphones in and just sit there and listen to music. We use it as a distraction.

Music can be used as a distraction in many, many different ways. If anyone feels like they don’t want to be here anymore just listen to music and it feels like a different world because everyone always ends up zoning out a little bit when they listen to music. It can take anyone's mind off of things if they mentally can not stop thinking about something. If anyone is ever laying in bed and it's almost like people want or need some company just listen to music. “We tend to under-appreciate those windows of peace and restfulness and get hung up on the pain that lies ahead of us. Enjoy those moments of relaxation.” says an author from PsychCentral, Gerti Schoen, MA, LP on February 11, 2012.

Also, whenever anyone has chores or any other activity to do normally some people would listen to music and it will most likely help them get it done faster and it's surprisingly a lot more fun that way. It's used as an escape.

When music feels like it is helping someone it’s letting them escape from the real world because in that new world that music is helping people. Are finally able to feel something? That is what it means by its an escape. Since it lets anyone feel something surprising, it's actually able to be a little happier when anyone is listening to it because they aren’t thinking about all of the bad things. It doesn’t make anyone hurt because it's almost like it is draining all of the bad and negative thoughts out of them. Then they start to sing and maybe even dance to it and before they know it they are happy. That doesn’t mean anyone will be happy for the rest of their life, music can not heal anyone like that, but they will feel better for a little bit. “Listening to music can trigger memories, bring feelings of happiness, or help individuals work through feelings of grief and sadness. For some, the power of music can provide a temporary escape from stress, depression, and sadness. While it isn’t a cure-all, it can be a vital part of someone’s mental health journey.” from the author Kristina Robb-Dover on November 20, 20211 from FHE Health. It can also help with people's health.

“Mental and physical health are equally important components of overall health. For example, depression increases the risk for many types of physical health problems, particularly long-lasting conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.” If anyone wants to be more active but it ends up being a pretty difficult task for them to do when they are in this kind of state. There are a bunch of different apps where anyone can walk, run, or do other workouts and there will be music going along with it. For example, if someone is running every time they take a step it will play a beat. Pretty soon they will just be listening to music and the time will go by very fast and before they know it they finished their workout or exercise for the day. Everyone should always try to stay active no matter how hard it is because it makes them feel so much better once they get it done.

These are some reasons why music can heal and help anyone with mental illness. Even though it's mostly teenagers that get affected by things, adults do too and it can help them also. It gets rid of all of the negative and bad thoughts that are in everyone’s head that keep cycling in circles. If anyone wants to feel something it will help them do that. It lets everyone escape from the world and it's a really good distraction for people. These are some reasons why music can heal anyone.