The CSI Effect | Teen Ink

The CSI Effect

January 18, 2009
By ~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
24 articles 10 photos 31 comments

CSI is an enthralling hit TV series, which reels viewers into the sinister minds of the criminals and the warped cases that the investigators solve within the hour. It draws in people from the younger crowd as well as older viewers. The shows, set in different cities, allow you to witness investigators sweep a crime scene, collect the evidence, run tests in the lab, and crack the case.
In truth, the criminal justice system is nothing like it is portrayed on TV. It has been glamorized, exaggerated, and oversimplified. This doesn’t have a positive effect in reality. It gives a false pretense of what forensic science is really all about. Due to the rising popularity of the show, the numbers of student’s majors in the forensic science has skyrocketed. They are drawn to aspect of higher learning, only to discover that CSI careers are not like what they see on television.
Most evidence that is presented is not as clear or dirt free in real life. Fingerprints of victims are not as normally spotless and easily marked or proven. DNA evidence, as well as most equipment or technology in the lab, is not usually within financial reach, or even something you would glimpse in most crime labs.
Many crimes are not as traceable as they seem on TV. Many crime scenes take a while, up to weeks, even months to gather and produce all of the evidence. Shown on the TV series the evidence is cut, dried, and useable within only one single evening.
TV is not reality, even though many are lead to believe it is. If they did an actual show on CSI and what the investigators truly do, it might not be one of the most watched series. People thrive on the suspense and drama that makes up the entire show. It might make an interesting documentary, but not a prime time series.