The Last Place Looked | Teen Ink

The Last Place Looked

By Scott Reel GOLD, Naperville, Illinois
Scott Reel GOLD, Naperville, Illinois

If she would only go out with me I would be happy. If I could only get my mom to care just for one day I would be okay. I just want one hug from my dad to show that he loves me then I won’t cry so much. I just want one A this year, if I could do that I would have the confidence to do better. If I could bench ten more pounds that could get me on the football team, then I’ll be happy. If I only had one friend that was true to me, I could sleep at night. If someone would just notice me at school then maybe I’ll believe I really matter. If I could be a little bit more like my brother, then I could be popular. If I change my clothes maybe people will want to get to know the real me.
These are the quotes of our youth, some lead to suicide or depression; maybe with this prospective our youth can grow. A dependency to a person or feeling can direct and convince our minds of almost anything. If we could have one more thing, our lives would be okay; but when that wish is granted we have already moved on to another key to happiness. We depend on our families, friends, teachers, coaches and so on and a majority of us have been let down. There have been those individuals that have let us down when we needed to be picked up more at that moment than any other. We have entrusted individuals in our lives with our hearts and they have sometimes made little holes that cannot be filled. Happiness is not found in these places or people and if it is, it does not start there. Trust and happiness start in a place much closer, but are so often overlooked.
We don’t need stereotypes and skyscrapers to be okay, we don’t need to depend on the world or society to give us our necessities. We don’t need a pat on the back for good deeds and we don’t need base our actions on the majority around us. When it comes down to it the unfortunate fact is that family, friends and all the others around will not help you be okay with yourself or sleep any better at night. We all hope to find our soul mate or someone that we can give our hearts to and grow old with, no matter if you’ve been hurt, gay, straight, sad, happy, or not even looking, we all crave that true love at some point. But instead of fairness, success, happiness, or love, truth is the quickest road to satisfaction. Instead of looking for someone else, look inside. Instead of shouting something out all the time, be alone inside constantly in thought; that is where we can find truth. The intelligence of one’s self and one’s purpose is better discovered alone while in tune with conscious thought than at the whim of one’s voice.
We all have choices and paths to discover, many of which branch off into a thousand different conclusions and outcomes. Sometimes we wish we didn’t even have a choice, then life would be a little easier, but as a race we all have the privilege of freedom. I am not unmotivated or critical by the burden of choice but rather blessed that I have things from which to choose. Instead of worrying about what he or she said, or what happened on Friday, or what your mom said to you that brought you to cry yourself to sleep that night; whether your boyfriend broke your heart, whether your grandfather cheated on your grandmother, whether your family is a mess, or whatever it may be; we could all do better to learn about ourselves. Then we may be able to understand what we want and need in others.
Discover your purpose, set goals and walk the path that will take you there. Then find the people that will help you to get down that path and that you can’t live without. When you are okay with yourself no matter the circumstances and find the truth in your purpose, nothing can stop you from achieving lifelong happiness. If we could somehow do that, that one more thing to make us okay will be the last thought that enters our heads thanks to the value of the individual.

XwavesX said...
on Jan. 9 2014 at 12:31 pm
XwavesX, Potomac, Maryland

"The two most important days days of your life is the day you were born and the day you find out why"
- Mark Twain

That, right there, what you have written, is life in a page. I'm lucky to have read it :)

on Apr. 19 2013 at 9:04 pm
You sir have discovered the purpose and meaning of living while accepting the truth of it all. You have wrote an absolutely phenomenal piece of writing and have truly understand what's it like to REALLY live life the way it's suppose to be live. Not very many people understand it, so I applaud you. Thank you for writing this.

on Dec. 5 2008 at 12:29 am
You speak with the wisdom of a well taught and long lived man.

It is said with truth and reason.

Your very intelligent.