Grief | Teen Ink

Grief

May 30, 2013
By madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
37 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Grief
Happiness and sadness, tragedies and incident is a way of life, which no one can stop. You get to cope with it somehow, and sometimes alone.
Here, I will give you some tips to overcome it. It won’t fix the harm but it will do enough to bring the brilliant smile on your face for which everyone is waiting.
Grief is…
An emotional, physical or spiritual reaction in response to a death or loss. The process can take a long time and usually happens in stages. Although grief often follows the death of a person, it may be triggered by other things. People may grieve if a pet dies or goes missing, if a close friend or relative moves away or I a relationship or friendship comes to an end. Then those memories can trigger past tragedies and drown you in self-pity.
How will you feel?
When coping with a death, you may experience lots of different emotions. These can include feeling sad, down. Scared, worried, shocked, numb, confused, unprepared, angry, frustrated, cheated, guilt relieved and exhausted. Your feelings may be stronger than usual or mixed together in ways you’ve never experienced before, and they may change gradually or rapidly. Just remember, you feel however you feel and it’s a totally normal response.
What happens?
You may find you have trouble concentrating, studying, sleeping or eating. Or you might lose interest in activities you used to enjoy. You may withdraw into your “shell” or experience outbursts of temper, even if you’re usually the chilled type. Don’t be hard on yourself – there’s no proper way to react.
How will I cope?
People experience and handle grief in different ways. Some will reach out for support while others find comfort in old memories or keep themselves busy to take their minds off their loss. There is so right or wrong way of dealing with grief, but if your emotional pain still seems raw after a few weeks, or you feel like hurting yourself or have suicidal thoughts, talk to a loved one or a health professional. Do not bottle things up!
What should I do?

Surround yourself with people you love and trust.

Talk to those who’ll listen to and support you.

Exercise – it’s proven to improve your mood.

Try to eat together, nutritious meals. Even a little food is better than none.

Allow yourself time and space to heal.

Listen to upbeat songs.

Go for shopping and spend some priceless moments with your old mates.

Adopt a new hobby.

Go to charities or some welfare institute… they say sharing others pain make ours look negligible.
TT says…
Given time and the loving support of friends and family as well as your own positive actions, you can cope with even the deepest loss. Try to talk about your sadness and find ways to grieve – don’t suppress your feelings, whatever they are, doing things you enjoy, like socializing, if it’ll make you feel better. You need to work through your grief in order to heal. No one can cope with it by keeping it in their heart… don’t keep it there, burning your soul, let it out. It needs a vent to spill out. Try beating a pillow hard; sing mean songs on top of your lungs (recommended to not everyone)…
Have a good time recovering from your pain. Treat yourself with a new dress or a big chocolate cake after you become your old sparkly self.