The Soulmate Principle | Teen Ink

The Soulmate Principle

July 21, 2012
By Watson, GOLD, Billings, Montana
Watson, GOLD, Billings, Montana
18 articles 4 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)


I don’t believe in soulmates. I wish I did, but I don’t. Ever since I was a little girl, I was taught that everyone had their Prince Charming, their knight in shining armor. When I got older, I started to figure out that reality is a lot harsher than the Brothers Grimm would have us believe. People die, families live in poverty, there’s a high rate of unemployment and drugs and alcohol can corrupt even the most decent of people. It’s simply illogical to think that fairytales can come true. We’ve already disproven fairy godmothers, wicked witches, and little men named Rumplestiltskin. Why should we belive that the one other element of the fairytale is true? Prince Charming doesn’t exist. Girls everywhere have been waiting for their perfect guy. I’m sorry ladies, but he probably isn’t out there. “Perfect” love is saved only for romance novels and Hollywood. In reality, people will have to settle. There is no relationship that is perfect. We will have to work with the next best thing. It stinks, I know. But it’s just reality.

To be honest, I hope I’m wrong.