What Love Is To Me | Teen Ink

What Love Is To Me

I understand love. I also don't know the full extent of it. I'm constantly learning just how beautiful and painful it is.

At the age of 5, I knew what love was. It was my mom waking me up with a smile, it was my dad pushing my little car, it was my little sister giving me hugs.
At the age of 10, I knew what love was. It was my mom teaching me, my dad teaching me, my friends around me. It was my sisters cute faces. It was God and it was Jesus.
At the age of 14, I knew what love was. It was mom driving me places, it was the teen friends I was discovering, it was my best friend, it was my dad travelling and calling me on the phone, it was my sisters playing with me.

At 14, I also thought I knew what another side of love was. I wrote in my journal, "Help! I'm in love with a fantasy!" I thought I loved one of my best friends. Well, turns out it was a crush on someone who wasn't mine to have. And lookee there, I gave a tiny piece of my heart away.

At 15, I was learned more about what love is. I knew the love of friends for me, and me for them. I knew the love for my family, and me for them. I knew the love of God, and the struggling love from me to him. He loved me more every time I turned away and ever time I came back. I am so grateful and happy that I have such a God.

At 16, I started to understand what a mastery of complications love is. What a web of deceit, and what a chest of treasure. I realized just how annoying and beautiful the opposite sex is. Boys really get under your skin. Even when you hate them, you love them even more. I learned how to get my boyfriend urge out of my head, and embrace the feelings that were good for right now.

I'm 17. I have a very good friend. He's a little younger than I am. I love him with all my heart. He is what I call my "bestest brother." We're not related, we're not dating. He is not my boyfriend. We're home schooled. We chat on Facebook. I give him hugs and he talks to me. I love our relationship.

Now what is a relationship? Look it up in the dictionary: a connection, association, or involvement; an emotional or other connection between people; the state of being connected or related…
I've noticed, that if someone says she/he is "in a relationship" that almost always means he/she is dating someone. In our culture, that's really what it has come to mean to most teens. I'm in lots of relationships, and none of them involve a boyfriend.

And no, I'm not always happy. But every time that I say goodnight to my "bestest brother" and don't want to kiss him, I feel such a joy and peace in my heart. It's worth waiting until my emotions are stable and God brings Mr. Right in. God does have someone planned for me. I can wait to see who it is.

I know that I prayed for a brother, so I could get used to boys, and understand them. God plunked my "bestest brother" right down into my life. I don't need to spend my first kiss, or give away my heart, or have sex, or be "in a relationship" or have a boyfriend.

I know what love is. And I'll keep learning.

this is from my heart. please comment on what you feel about what I've said. this is just my opinion, you are completely entitled to yours. just consider what I say. thanks.

annelindy said...
on Apr. 27 2011 at 11:15 am
Ok. I must say I'm jelous. Not many gals can boast a guy friend like the one you have :) that's awesome. And the whole article itself is great, thanks for sharing your heart :) Awesome stuff! it's very true :)

on Jan. 27 2011 at 8:32 pm
Writer4Life_21 SILVER, No Where, Maryland

"If you don't know where your going, you will end up someplace else." - Yogi Bera

This article has modest majesty. My congrats to you on putting everything into the right words. I loved this.

on Jan. 26 2011 at 6:22 pm
cookielove BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware

Love isn't in the color of the skin but in the loyalty of the heart.

OMG! I adored this! :) Made my day, actually... :) Because every word is so true. :)

on Jan. 24 2011 at 1:50 pm
Sallacia BRONZE, Chorley, Other

Well, I like to speak scientifically about things!

This is really lovely and you should carry on writting!

on Jan. 20 2011 at 2:13 pm
SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois

If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

(: i lvoe this dear(: I really like your authors comment too, its not something you see alot. Your article made me see love a whole different way. So thank you(: and i really hope you keep writing(: <3 Sami