What's the correct age for love? | Teen Ink

What's the correct age for love?

By EdgeofDesire SILVER, Port Jefferson, New York
EdgeofDesire SILVER, Port Jefferson, New York

Why is sex always the scary thing? Why do parents allow you to fall in love, to basically give your heart to a person trusting them to never break it, giving your all to someone, but restrict sex? Sure sex is something very serious, but falling in love? That’s the scariest part of anyone at any age, yet they never seem to worry about that. You see, the concept of sex has been changed tremendously that it’s sometimes almost seen as a ‘must’ in relationships. The sex we imagine today is full of vulgarity and obscenity. It’s transformed into something we become scared of, scared of pregnancy, scared of pain, scared of diseases and the fear of a broken heart. It’s changed as though it defines us a person, as a human being; as if sex makes up the fundamentals of our character. It alters at the thought of without it, a person is not a person and a relationship is neither substantial nor vigorous. It’s a shame, the human race; to have forgotten the importance and beauty of such an act. The idea of sex has been so tangled that we’re blinded by the lies and no longer can reach the truth. Sex is an act of pleasing, an act of connecting two people in a way nothing else can. In my point of view, if you’re old enough to fall in love with someone, I mean really be in love with them, you’re old enough for anything. I believe falling in love contains more danger than sex in the fact that instead of just giving away one thing, it's giving away your absolute everything. You see, no one but yourself knows how you truly feel. They can pretend to understand based on their own experiences, but at the end of the day, you are your own person; only you know how your heart feels, no one else. Sure people are able to tell you what to do and what not to do, but they can NEVER dictate your heart no matter how old you may be. You can listen to them and trust what they tell you, but your heart feels what it feels, no one, not your mom, dad, best friend, not even yourself, can control it.

Age plays no role, your heart feels what it feels and your mind thinks what it thinks, it’s inevitable. Sure if you’re 22 you’re more mature than when you were 15 but being in love whether you’re 8 or 56, all feels the same, it all feels beautiful. Age is the most unfair aspect of human nature, everything you are, and everything you’re allowed to do or not is based upon time. You’re abilities are constantly judged by the digits that represent how long you’ve been alive and I personally often feel underestimated. You know what you know, you feel what you feel and you think what you think, no one is capable of convincing you otherwise. You can drive at 17, go to war at 18, drink at 21, and retire at 65. So who can say what age you have to be to find your true love and be able to give them your downright everything? The answer? No one can.

This piece actually started off as a journal entry, revolting against the ideas around the connection between sex and age. However, it slowly became something more. It no longer became about sex, it became more about love, unconditional love at any age anyone can experience. Reading it over, the piece itself is full of truth, not only in the perspective I hold but in many others as well. The change of this piece was very unexpected and unintentional, however the transformation left a very strong outcome.

teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I agree....

Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"You must give up a life you’d planned in order to have the life that’s waiting for you." ~ Joseph Campbell

Wow! This is really good writing and I agree with your opinion, so I really like this article! :)

Hay_Wire PLATINUM, Independence, Missouri
hmm..well i commented..but its not showing.

CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

Beautiful and well-said. :]