The World Is Doomed by Pollution | Teen Ink

The World Is Doomed by Pollution

November 7, 2016
By Lypheng BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Lypheng BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Reader,


Pollution is present everywhere we go. It is shown on your street, your city, and in the waters.  It is a problem and is destroying our world. Pollution is an excess chemical, material, or thing that is introduced in the world of which it also harms . It comes in many forms: oil, light, plastic, glasses, and in the air. We contribute to pollution more than we think - the fumes off of our vehicles, our plastic and glass littering, the lights we emit from our houses, and the disposal of harmful chemicals into the waters - and it is increasing the number of mortality of wildlife and humans, raising sea level, and changes the climate. Our continuous contributions are affecting the world and the lives of others.
       

The pollutants we litter in the waters and land are hurting wildlife and is decreasing many species of animals. It affects ecosystems, the environment and disrupts food chains.
       

According to an article,” Sperm Whales found full of Car Parts and Plastics”  from National Geographic, written by Wajeeha Malik,  researchers from Germany found that four of the beached whales ingested a mass debris including: a forty foot shrimp fishing net, plastic engine cover and remains of plastic buckets. Wadden Sea National Park also stated that more than 30  sperm whales have been beached in Europe and are found with disturbing materials within them.
       

UNESCO(United Nations Educational, Scientific Cultural Organizations) states that there are five-hundred dead zones-a body of water with reduced levels of oxygen-in the world. This is caused by massive plastic pollution in the waters. UNESCO also states that more than a million seabirds die every year along with over 100,000 marine mammals.
      

Each year the number of marine animal mortality increases. Every so often, we see beached animals or dead, floating fishes on the news caused by contaminants. If pollution affects the animals in the oceans it affects us humans too.
      

A jaw-breaking fact from the article,”China tops WHO list for deadly outdoor air pollution”, written by Adam Vaughan, on The Guardian  says that “ 3 million people die worldwide each year.” due to tiny particles from cars, power plants and other sources. The UN agency and World Health Organization also points out that, “ China is the world’s deadliest country for outdoor air pollution.”
    

On epa, the site explains how chemical pollution into our waters affects our health. Contaminates includes toxic algae to toxic chemicals. Exposure to these spreading chemicals may cause diseases, illness or maybe death. For example, nitrate-a compound found in fertilizers often contaminates our drinking water. Infants who drink the nitrate-polluted water often become ill and die; symptoms include breathe shortness and blue baby syndrome.
     

Pollution also causes changes in climate. Remember the hole in the ozone layer? That was caused by chlorofluorocarbons pollution from aerosol spray cans and refrigerants. The depleting amount of chlorofluorocarbons in the air is now healing the ozone hole.
     

At climate.nasa , the website shows current facts and statisitics about the vital signs of the planet.  It’s estimated that about 404.42 parts per million of carbon dioxide are in the air, temperatures has risen about 1.7 fahrenheit since 1880, sea level has risen 3.4 mm per year and so on. According to NASA, the data from their Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment states that,” Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.” The polar ice caps are losing their ice of which it increases the sea levels.
         

Considering climate change, many animals are losing their lives due to weather and environmental changes. With sudden changes, animals who have been stripped from their habitat and food depletion are bound to die. Those who adapt to the new environment are inevitably going to evolve.
        

Six species have been highlighted as the the most threatened species due to the changes in the climate. From the article, “ 7 Species Hit Hard by Climate Change”, the author Christine Dell’Amore says that,” ...many life-forms are moving north or into deeper waters to survive as their habitats shift.” reported from UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (ICPP). One of the species that are suffering from climate change is the Adele Penguin. The Adele Penguins lives in the Antarctic of which they survive off of krills. With climate change warming the ice caps, krills loses their habitat and food, ergo Penguins must search farther.
      

You may dwell upon the question, “Is climate change all a hoax?” or agree with Donald Trump with his tweet,” The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S.manufacturing non-competitive.” NASA’s website contains evidence and statistics about climate change. NASA is one of the most notable agency that we can trust.  For example, NASA has stated that ocean acidification has increased about 30 percent since the Industrial Revolution, or when more coal, oil, and plastics were produced. Another notable site is epa, of which it shows about 700 people died during the 1995 Chicago Heat Wave. The Chicago Heat Wave was due to the changes in the climate. There are many sources for climate changes and how it impacts earth.
        

If we are ever to look at preserving our world and species we need to fix our conflicts first. Humans are so focused on expansion and competition that we are evading one of our most number one threat. Please reconsider on what you do with the tiny piece of wrapper you’re holding and remember on how such a tiny fragment of pollution may hurt our kids, pets, animals and the world.


The author's comments:

I hope that people will reconsider the disposal of plastics and other contaminates. We help pollution rather than lowering it more than we notice.