Factories and water bodies: A global disaster | Teen Ink

Factories and water bodies: A global disaster

Placing large factories adjacent to large bodies of water with fish hurts the local ecosystem and the local economy. If we continue to allow more and more factories to be right next to water, we will only hurt ourselves. Now, I want to start off by saying I am not one who likes lots of government control. I do think, however, that laws need to be implemented if what we are doing is hurting ourselves. For example, speeding. While it is fun to go 150 down the highway, it’s not fun to die or accidentally injure others. Thus, the government puts regulations, otherwise known as speed limits in place for the protection and safety of the people. So, if putting large factories right next to water sources harms us, and we do not have neither the control nor the power to stop it, the government has to implement regulations to help us. 

First, let’s backtrack. You’re probably sitting here thinking “What is this crazy lady talking about?” or “Why would factories hurt the economy? They are employing people!”. Let me explain. Fish, like humans, breathe in oxygen, and they need to continue doing so if they want to survive. However, unlike humans, fish live in water. While we humans have an abundant supply of oxygen in our air, supplied by trees, fish need oxygen to dissolve into water in order for them to be able to breathe. 

Large factories create lots and lots of heat, so when there is a factory next to a water source, it will heat up the water. Unfortunately for the fish, if the water gets heated up to high enough temperatures, not only will the oxygen be unable to dissolve into the water, oxygen will start escaping from the water, therefore suffocating the fish to death. 

While the immediate effects of some dead fish might not be extremely noticeable, a step will be missing from the food chain - the amphibians or plants that the fish once ate will grow in population, and the amphibians or animals that relied on the fish for food will go hungry or will need to find a new meal option. So, this actually causes disruption in the local ecosystem. 

Not only that, if those fish were once an income or food source for families, the local economy will be slightly disturbed by the sudden loss of input and output of money. 

To solve this tragic and terrible problem, we need our local and national government to implement laws on the placement of factories. We cannot allow our ecosystem and our economy to worsen because of major factories. I am calling out to the fish and nature lovers, to those that care about our economy and planet, and to everybody that celebrates life. Make our government aware of this problem and contact your local legislature to make a change. You can not only make a difference in the economy and ecosystem, but you can also save the fish!

Being aware of how the mundane things around us affect the world we live in can and must inspire us to take a stand and make a change.