A Dogmatic Problem | Teen Ink

A Dogmatic Problem

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassionand pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."
-- St. Francis of Assisi

Dog fighting is an unnecessary cruelty that ends the life of dogs everyday. Many dogs are actually trained and bred to fight till the death for someone's entertainment. Fights usually last from one to two hours, sometimes longer. It ends only when one of the dogs can no longer compete. Dog fights result in deep puncture wounds, broken bones,
torn skin, dehydration, shock, blood loss, infections, and often in death.
The numerous effects on these dogs should have people worried. They are
extremely aggressive toward other animals and even people. Small children could be viewed as an animal, making them vulnerable to their attacks. Some lucky dogs are rescued and put into a new, safe, happy home. Most rescued dogs, however, must be euthanized. They cannot recover from their horrendous past. They cannot seem to stop themselves from hurting some other innocent animal.
They're are many laws regarding this blood sport thanks to some caring, animal activists. It is illegal in all 50 states and also in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. As of last year, it is considered a felony in all states except Idaho and Wyoming. They still call it a misdemeanor. In almost every state, owning a dog for the purpose
of fighting is a felony offense. Watching a dogfight is illegal everywhere except Georgia and Hawaii.
Transporting animals for fighting is illegal along with creating, selling, or owning a video of dog fighting.
Perhaps a few more laws or harsher punishments would decrease the number of dogfights. It's time for people to speak out and put their foot down. It's time to stop this nonsense.

booklover1212, New York, New York

I am a dork. You got a problem?

What kind of stupid person would a dog fight? like you would have be some kind of meb=ntal instute escape or some violence induced phyco!

LittleBit said...
I can't imagine what disturbed human would watch the dog fight. There are similar things to this as well, such as cock fights. Anyways,I could tell you did your homework. It paid off!