The Muslim Debate | Teen Ink

The Muslim Debate

By doug427olson BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
doug427olson BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

As you look through the presidential debate, you see Donald Trump and his words of banning all Muslims. They are automatically eliminated as good people and are not see the ways anyone else is. They are disliked by America and it isn’t fair. As we look at the statistics, only 5% of Muslims are ISIS, so why are we discriminating all of them? Snap out of it! We are acting selfishly for ourselves and not anybody else. Do you ever think about the helpless children hiding from ISIS, not knowing if their parents will come back because that is who they are fighting against? Probably not. You would rather talk about Donald Trump’s idea of banning all Muslims for your own good. Muslims should have the rights to come to America and live the American dream because they need somewhere to go that makes them feel safe.

Even though many people are against Muslims coming to America, there has been some support from high ranked people. Barack Obama thinks it is not a good idea to stereotype and reject all of the Muslims based on how a small percentage of them are extremists.  Obama points out, “‘Terrorists like ISIL are trying to divide us along lines of religion and background,” Obama said in his weekly address Saturday, using an alternate acronym for the terrorist group. If we listen to Obama, we won’t have to worry about a bigger group forming, a group bigger than ISIS already is.  He is onto something when he warns,  “That’s how they stoke fear. That’s how they recruit.”’(Richardson) Obama definitely has a point with this statement. He is telling all of the US citizens that they can not have a judgment on the Muslims because that is how ISIS recruits. ISIS tells the Muslims that the US hates them and that they should go against us and attack us. ISIS recruits off the hateful actions of the US. Do we really want to deal with a bigger, stronger, more driven ISIS?  With that being said, if the US takes a seriously stereotypical action to ban all Muslims, this will cause ISIS to hate us and gain more power to harm us.

Unfortunately, there are people in the US like Donald Trump that support banning all the Muslims for the safety of the United States.  Trump stated this idea to protect us from ISIS. It sounds great in all, but he wants to ban ALL Muslims. Only 5 percent of the Muslim population are Muslims. “ISIS is interested in establishing a caliphate — that's a radical, extremist state with a supreme ruler — while also helping to bring about the apocalypse” (Siese). Yes, this is the definition of ISIS and there is a reason people are scared of them. They are insane. But imagine if you were standing in the streets of Iraq, you wouldn't see a bunch of people all formed as one to take over the world. There are people who are in this area who are extremely uncomfortable and unsafe because of the ISIS presence. These people, who are of Muslim and other faiths are just as scared of ISIS as we are. But here is the difference... ISIS is their next door neighbor. Muslims are innocent people and want nothing to do with ISIS, just like us, so we can't stereotype them all as bad people and threats to society. How is this fair? We shouldn’t have 5% of ISIS making the 95% of Muslims not related or involved with ISIS sit around completely unsafe.  Since there are so many lives in danger, it makes sense to allow Muslims into the United States.

When it comes to this topic, there are some important people showing great kindness to the Muslim community out in the middle east right now and that is Barack Obama. Obama has shown great peace to Muslims and invited them to establish and grow the Muslim-American race. “Obama also praised the spirit of giving to the needy on Eid al-Adha, stating that ‘Muslim American organizations are among those at the forefront of attending to victims in this refugee crisis’”(The Jerusalem Post). The majority of people who look at Muslims may see them as bad people and responsible for terrorism just as much as ISIS. The majority needs to look at what is really going on. ISIS vs the world, not ISIS and Muslims in general vs the world. US President Barack Obama is for Muslims coming to America and becoming Muslim-Americans so they feel welcome, and we haven't turned our backs on them. This would be a great way to show we don't think they are terrorists and we don't show the stereotype against them. It is not surprising that people would question Barack Obama’s actions because the main problem with letting over refugees from the middle east is that we don’t know exactly who the people are. We really don’t have an idea if they actually are from ISIS or just a regular Muslim fleeing from ISIS and other problems. “The U.S. has imported 70,000 refugees per year for many years, more than half of them from Muslim-dominated countries such as Somalia and Iraq with active jihadist movements, and President Obama has pledged to increase that number to 85,000 this year and 100,000 the following year.”(Hohmann) This what scares the US citizens. Even though the 5% ratio is pretty low, If 35,000 of these refugees are Muslims and 1 out of every 20 are ISIS… that is 1,750 ISIS activists. But luckily, the background checks are extremely difficult to pass, so if you are part of ISIS, it wouldn’t be allowed to let anyone go, plus, the people fleeing from the middle east would give direction on who would be part of ISIS.

When ISIS is brought up in any scenario, we know it is serious. So thinking about all of the Muslims in the middle east, we can’t be hard on them because of a little group of their people are extremists. They are stuck there with ISIS and don’t have anyone helping because we are too selfish to see the big picture. We need to let Muslims over and invite them into our community so that they can do something in their life and don’t have to worry about an extremist group knocking their doors down and killing their family. We need to give helping hands to the Muslim community in America because they really need our help!

I feel that judging people on their race is inappropriate.