“But..She’s A Girl” | Teen Ink

“But..She’s A Girl”

By MaceyBright SILVER, Ayersville, Ohio
MaceyBright SILVER, Ayersville, Ohio

In the article “But…She’s A Girl” by Jack O. she talks about her passion: basketball, and how sexism almost got in the way of that. It starts with her walking into the gym with her team, who happened to be all boys. The looks of disgust and stares full of annoyance made her feel uncomfortable and angry. She stated, “They thought that because I was a girl, I couldn’t make the shot as well as a guy could, or the chances of me being a good player were lower.” Which wasn’t true at all, in fact she would get her chance to prove them all wrong, but we’re not there yet. She stuck it out and continued playing on, although, it wasn’t fair and she wasn’t getting her shot. “Finally, I was given a moment of mercy when a guy, out of desperation, passed me the ball. I didn’t hesitate…Before it even reached the net, I knew it was a swish.” She made her shot and proved everyone in the stands and on the court wrong.  This story shows that even being a girl you can do whatever you put your mind too, that goes for guys too.