Standing for the Future | Teen Ink

Standing for the Future

February 9, 2016
By Anonymous

There are an estimated 39 million girls worldwide who are not currently attending school (Stark). These 39 million are overburdened with the responsibilities of caring for their families, restricted by societal pressures, and limited by lack of funds. Many marry and bear children before the age of 16, belong to a family of refugees that are not allowed to work and pay for her schooling, or may not be allowed attend a school because the value in their schooling is not seen. Not only is her education taken from her, but her potential to change her future and the lives of others is lost. Organizations across the globe such as those associated with the United Nations have helped keep millions of girls in a safe and secure school environment. I stand for the efforts of the many who are working towards putting more girls back in school for a better future. Education for girls in underdeveloped countries is important because educated women are healthier, economically stronger, and contribute to a lower birth and infant mortality rate.


When a woman is educated, she is healthier and less likely to contract HIV/AIDS. Being informed of the signs and symptoms of diseases or disorders, women who receive schooling are more likely to seek out healthcare. Increased visits to clinics or other healthcare options has lead to fewer maternal deaths as well as increased life expectancy. For every year of schooling per 1000 girls and women, it is estimated that 2 maternal deaths are prevented (“The Effect…”). When investment is made in their education, they are better prepared to take care of themselves; preventable deaths become closer to being eradicated. Not only do these girls live healthier lives, but their increased knowledge and actions regarding health is helping to stop the spread of major epidemics in their countries. HIV/AIDS is the leading cause of death in adolescent girls in Africa, and the second leading cause worldwide. A study conducted in Uganda found that a girl’s chance to contract AIDS reduced by approximately 6.7 percent for every year of schooling. Their knowledge is also increased as they are twice as able to know the basic facts about AIDS, such as how it is contracted, prevented, and treated (“The Effect…”). If organizations and the public who supports them continue to put effort towards keeping these girls in school, we create the possibility of a future where current pandemics become rare and easily prevented. Educating these women matters because millions of lives were saved through information about their bodies and diseases.


Another reason to support schooling for these girls is the economic strength that is gained overall. Each additional year of schooling helps a woman’s individual earnings and narrows the pay gap between men and women. Secondary educations causes women to earn around 70 percent of a man’s wages (Girl’s Education…). Finishing school can also help a woman raise her earnings by up to 25 percent, combating poverty in her family and future families. When a woman’s education is ensured, she does not need to rely on her daughters for extra work or family needs, allowing the next generation of girls to attend school as well. Women’s schooling also improves the economy of the country as a whole. 60 percent of women with a secondary education are in the workforce, as compared to 37 percent without any school. An increase in scores on standardized tests for women has shown a 2 percent increase in GDP per capita as well (“Getting to Equal…”). Girls that remain in school and later join the workforce help their country develop economic strength. Pushing for women’s education in underdeveloped countries helps the country advance as a whole.


Not only can a woman’s education contribute to the well-being of herself and her country, but it also has the potential to save lives as well by lowering the birth and infant mortality rates. Women with secondary educations have an average of 3.9 births, while women with no education have an average of 6.7 children (Girl’s Education). By having fewer children, these women are better able to feed their families and invest in other necessities. The lower birth rate is not only due to their higher education, but because their children have higher survival rates as well. Women in underdeveloped countries often have many children because the risk of death before the age of 5 is incredibly high. When these women are educated, they are more likely to visit the clinic while pregnant, twice as likely to give birth in a facility, and more prepared to take care of their children with a higher income and fewer offspring (“The Effect…”). Being born in a facility provides a safe environment where birth complications can be addressed immediately to prevent loss of life for both mother and child. Standing for education for these women will not only save their lives, but also the lives of millions of children yet to be born.


Education can increase the overall health of women by encouraging them to seek out healthcare for them and their children. It can also help them to increase their wages and strengthen their country’s economy. Finally, women’s education can help save millions of lives by lowering the birth rate and infant mortality rate, raising a stronger and healthier generation that is more likely to go to school. There is an immense impact education has on their individual lives and their community that is demonstrated demonstrated by girls who were able to get even a primary education. I stand for the efforts made to make school more accessible to women in underdeveloping countries because it will not only change their world, but the future of the entire country. There is so much brilliance and potential hidden in these 39 million girls who are not in school, and we should work to someday achieve 39 million more happy, intelligent young women.

Works Cited
"The Effect of Girls' Education on Health Outcomes: Fact Sheet." PRB.org. Population Reference Bureau, Aug. 2011. Web. 28 Jan. 2016.
"Getting to Equal: How Educating Every Girl Can Help Break the Cycle of Poverty." Education - Human Development Network. The World Bank, 22 Sept. 2012. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.
Girl's Education - the Facts. N.p.: UNESCO, 2013. Print.
Goldberg, Eleanor. "AIDS Is No. 1 Killer Of Adolescents In Africa." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 18 Feb. 2015. Web. 26 Jan. 2016.
Stark, Caitlin. "By the Numbers: Women's Progress." CNN.com. Cable News Network, 8 Mar. 2012. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.