Living A Safe Life | Teen Ink

Living A Safe Life

By Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

It is hard to feel safe these days. Always wondering what that persons got in their bag and if he is a rapist or serial killer. I can't help but feel that my life is under constant threat, danger and death, hand in hand always waiting around every corner. And it doesn't help that some psycho opened fire on unsuspecting moviegoers entertaining themselves with The Dark Night Rises. I went to see that movie a week after the incident, the whole time glancing up and down the stairwells and flinching at every chair squeak. It doesn't help that there are people out there who will walk into a calm elementary school and open fire on little kids. That week at school we all sat shaking in our chairs and when there was a school wide lockdown my door, of course, didn't lock. And only not too long ago the Boston Marathon was bombed. What's next? Living in New York makes me question, is the new Freedom Tower a target? Will there be a repeat of the Twin Towers tragedy? I can't help but plan emergency exit routes for every classroom in school. I can't help but wonder who I would save if I could save someone. All I can do is hope. Hope that nothing happens, and that if it does I will be ready.

I used to be so innocent, never worried about anything but what to eat for lunch. No here I am, growing up, and having to face the world with confidence and pride.

And it isn't like I don't have that, I am the most confident/proud person I know. No, it is the fact that all of the terrors are hard to ignore. Hard to forget. I gues in some ways it is good that we don't forget, that we learn to protect the ones we love, and this great nation.

But sometimes we cannot protect the ones we love, like those peaceful family members that had the devastating misfortune to be hit by a time bomb in Boston.

Like those parents who were working or at home doing whatever when someone barged into their son or daughters school and took the lives of too many people.

So that is why I plan and plot and wonder about what I would do. I ensure my self that I will be ready, willing, and able.

But. Sometimes we are never ready...

Everything said in this article is true. I am scared. Please comment if you feel the same way.

on May. 4 2013 at 11:06 am
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

hmmm... i thought i was the only one who felt that way. Nice to know that im not losing my mind. Good job. Keep writing. P.S. my articles,"The Epiphany and 'The Lost Battle?" read and comment please!  

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I know what you mean. I love how you pour your heart out in this article and open yourself out to a more vulnerable side of you that maybe I didn't realize was there. I feel the same way. Sometimes, I'm scared—terrified, really, that something awful will happen to me and my loved ones. I dunno why I feel that way. But the world we live in is just filling us with fear everyday. But you just gotta keep on—keep rocking as you always say. Or as I wrote in one poem recently, you gotta kill fear head-on. How? I don't even know. But you can't live life in fear; otherwise, it will just kill you. You know what I mean? Great piece.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey! I don't even know you in real life, but I have so much respect for you! You want to become the first woman navy seal and that is so amazing. I believe when you say that you will be ready and able! If this were a bet with someone, I'd absolutely bet that you would be able to make a change and help someone. I feel the emotion in this so easily and well.. I feelt he exact same way! I always wonder what happens if something terrible like the examples you gave happens and what scares me is not being sure and not knowing if anything WILL happen. I am worried that on my way to Target one day something will happen or at my school something will happen. No one lives a safe life, do they? Isn't it sad? I think that the scariest thing is knowing that the criminals who commit these crimes just don't care. That scares me the most. I'd like to say that I'll have a safe life, but how can I be so sure? It's scary. Great job as always!