Enforce More Gun Control Laws | Teen Ink

Enforce More Gun Control Laws

By Beckie64545 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Beckie64545 BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"I'm standing here on the scene where 49 people lost their lives. A tragedy among others,families and friends gathered up around the area to say their last goodbyes. All at the mercy of a gun.." Nobody can deny that with mass shootings happening all around the world, the next place could be your work/school. Without the enforcement of more gun control laws, more people will die.

The US has a history of using guns to defend land and family,but nowadays they use them to kill with no purpose. There is a story that goes back a long time when a farmer shot someone in self defense because the man was stealing his crops and cattle. Understand that the farmer did that purely based on self defense. Most people have no intention of buying a gun just for self defense. In most cases people buy guns to kill with no purpose. Just like the Columbine school shooting.

No one should have to walk into a school and not be able to walk back out. School shootings are one of the biggest gun problems. So many kids die yearly due to school shootings. Last year in 2018 113 kids were injured or died from school shootings in the United States. Those 113 kids being kids who could ́ve changed the world. Kids who never had the opportunity to go to college. Kids who walked into their school and never walked back out. It's not only the kids who died. It's their friends who lived the trauma of a loss. Columbine is a perfect example. It was April 20,1999 ,11:19 am when Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris began to shoot their peers and teachers. A feeling of fear and loss spread across the school as gun shots fired.. The injured lying on the ground feeling hopeless. They knew that it was the end. All because of 2 guns. All because 2 kids had a passion to kill. Including themselves.

Although Columbine was no accident;some shootings or deaths from guns are. From 2006-2016,almost 6,885 people died from unintentional shootings in the US alone. Some people don't mean to have deaths happen. Which can bring many to believe that guns aren't a actual problem. All they see is the accidents and faults in humanity that cause the tragedies. Humans were born imperfect,and will never be perfect. Accidents will happen whether we take away guns or not. It's the ownership of making a mistake that will prevent a person from making the same mistake or even a bigger mistake,but the people who are not doing this are escaping the pain by taking their lives so they don't have to live eternally with a dark side with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Whether a death is an accident or just simply an act of hate, more gun control laws NEED to be enforced. People are imperfect and will mess up but owning up to your mistakes is better than living in eternal darkness.

I’ve personally never really enjoyed guns or the thought of them. My family comes from Brasil which is infested with guns and death. The article is based off of how much the US needs more gun control laws and how they have impacted our environment now. -Rebekah (7th grader from Deerpark :))

wbielins said...
on Apr. 16 2019 at 10:46 am
wbielins, Chicago, Illinois
"In most cases people buy guns to kill with no purpose. " What a CROCK! Most people buy guns for self defense or for sporting purposes (hunting, target shooting and competition) not to "kill with no purpose" 98% of mass shootings happen in "Gun-Free" zones, these are mis-named, they should be called "self-defenseless zones" Get rid of gun-free zones and you'll see the elimination of most mass shootings, because the people inside will be able to defend themselves from the wakkos who want to kill to become infamous, which the MSM loves to promote. Stop making theses "animals" infamous and this will also reduce mass shootings. That is "Common Sense," not more guns laws that only infringe on the rights of LAW-ABIDING gun owners.