Learning from Kavanagh’s Mistakes | Teen Ink

Learning from Kavanagh’s Mistakes

By laurenazrin BRONZE, White Plains, New York
laurenazrin BRONZE, White Plains, New York

Just this past week Judge Kavanagh was officially sworn in to the supreme court, after weeks of investigations and debate. The allegations of his harassment and sexual assault towards Dr. Christine Blasey Ford in high school landed him in major trouble and placed him in infamous national spotlight, nearly causing him to lose his spot on the supreme court as well as his admirable reputation.

No matter what you believe about the allegations against Kavanagh, one lessen should be taken to heart from this whole excruciating process-- what you do in high school can have a serious impact and your future. Our actions and decisions now should not be taken lightly, and should be preceded by careful consideration.

For example, when Kavanagh’s yearbook was found and read from when he was in high school and the alleged assault occurred, many parts were identified and used to prove that his character in high school was one completely capable of such harassment.

He wrote on this page the questionable phrase that he was a “Renate Alumnus.” Renate Schroeder Dolphin, whose name is mentioned at least 14 times in his yearbook on other boys’ pages that year, was a student at a nearby Catholic school for girls. His claiming to be an alumnus brings up many questions and concerns, as it is a degrading and repulsive comment not only towards her, but towards all women. He also wrote “100 kegs or bust,” hinting at inappropriate and disrespectful behavior with alcohol (NY Times).

Kavanagh made bad decisions with whatever inappropriate acts he committed in high school, but made an equally bad one when deciding to write about it in his high school yearbook. His choices to behave this way and write them down in a yearbook, as well as, if true, to assault Dr. Ford, caused him humiliation on a national level that could have been avoided if he had thought more about the impact of his actions. We can all learn fro Kavanagh’s mistakes and protect our futures by making safe and thoughtful decisions while we are in high school, and beyond.

Take it from Kavanagh himself, who said in an interview with Fox that, “I think all of us have provably done things we look back on in high school and regret or cringe a bit,” according to the NY Times. Don’t end up like Judge Kavanagh and get humiliated and butchered later on in life for bad decisions you made now. Think before you act. Your future self will thank you.