Should Curfews Be Set? | Teen Ink

Should Curfews Be Set? MAG

Should Curfews Be Set?by Kari Wallach, New City, NYA mature, responsible 16-year-old girl and her friends want to go to the movies. Because of sports practice and dinner, the girls have to go to a late movie. Then they remember the new town curfew and so their plans are now meaningless. They can't go out on a Friday night because when the movie gets out, it will be past curfew. Imagine what it would feel like to have such limitations? Discipline (a curfew being part of that) should come from parents.A town should not be the authority over someone's child. Parents know their children best and what is an appropriate time for their son or daughter to be home. Curfews set by the town are not necessary because most responsible parents have curfews or their own system of knowing where their child is. Police should be out only to make sure that juveniles are obeying the law. Some people argue that a curfew would prevent crimes and make towns safer. But it is known that juvenile crimes occur as much during the day as they do at night. There is no law requiring adult supervision of minors all the time.Others feel that if kids know the consequences, they would not stay out past curfew or commit crimes. Troubled kids who commit crimes will do it anyway.Most kids are out at night to walk around, go out for dinner or go to the movies, not to do harm. Curfews should not prevent kids from enjoying responsible night activities. A curfew cannot be general. It should be set for a specific occasion.Parents, not town officials, should take responsibility of their own child's curfew based on what they feel is appropriate. ?

Lmacklin said...
on Feb. 25 2009 at 3:25 am
yes, i agree because in that case...kids will feel more depressed and trapped when they are under an unnecessary law.