Genuine, or Just an Act? | Teen Ink

Genuine, or Just an Act? MAG

By Anonymous

   My nana used to say, "Christians pray on Sundays,and on their friends the rest of the week." Apparently the Christians sheknew were not true Christians since they left her with such a sour taste in hermouth.

A while back, I had a discussion with a friend about Christianityand how Christians should act. I was floored to hear her say that at church, itis necessary to act like Christ, but at school it doesn't really matter. All mylife, I have been taught that if a person is a Christian, he or she should actlike it at all times, in all things and in all places.

I see people everyday who wear jewelry or clothes that express their faith in Jesus Christ, yetthese people do things that are not good examples of Christianity. Gang memberswear crosses, but are on the news being arrested for serious crimes. If theylived the values they claim to have, they probably would not be in trouble in thefirst place.

With so many Christian logos and fads, it has become hard todistinguish Christians from those who just say they are. I sometimes think peopleclaim Christianity as their religion just to be able to wear a pretty piece ofjewelry.

You do not have to do a lot to set a good example ofChristianity. There are opportunities everywhere to do service for others. Youcan use nice language and be friendly to the weird or new kid who sits near you.You could apologize if you wrong someone, you can say please and thank you. Youcan smile at the kid who makes fun of you or teases you. You can also choose notto make fun of somebody. All these things set good examples of the beliefs andvalues of Christianity.

I'm not saying people cannot make mistakes, andI'm not saying I'm perfect, I'm far from it. But I am saying that if you claim tobe Christian, you need to act like it. Remember that by wearing a cross, WWJDbracelet or any other symbol of Christ, you are setting an example of theChristian faith. Maybe if my nana had known what Christians really believe shewould not have been so bitter.