Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

Dystopian Literature

By egarrett27 BRONZE, Demotte, Indiana
egarrett27 BRONZE, Demotte, Indiana

What is dystopian literature? Why is it becoming so popular in our teenagers worlds? Dystopian literature is based off a society that fails to make a “perfect world” do to rebellion but they think it’s perfect. It’s not hard to believe or understand why these types of literature has thrived with teenagers. Teenage life is often either chaotic or strictly controlled. Rebellion is a act that has become well known in these teenage years of our lives. They are relating with the Rebellion in these stories.

Teens are seeing and relating to the rebellions point of view. They are taking real life situations that they are either currently rebelling against, or wishing they could be doing so, and escaping the real world through these exciting stories. They relate and get ideas or possibly courage from their stories. “These are no cartoon superheros. They, like their teen readers, have to deal with recognizable concerns and problems, including friendship, family, betrayal, loss, love, death, and sexual awakening.” Quoted from the guardian. Teens come across issues with many authority figures such as parents, teachers, and peers.  

The act of rebellion is never favorable, but is often what it comes down to in teenage life. During the development in teenagers their hormones can make life seem more intense or chaotic. The defiance and chaos that comes from the rebellion in these stories might feel similar to their life situations. This is giving them something to connect with. They might then feel they can understand the characters and stories better than anyone else. It often brings teens together and creators now friendship.

Teens are in that awkward stage of still a child and becoming an adult. Parents and other authority figures often challenges their feelings of what is right or wrong, or what they want versus what they should do. Sometimes teens don’t realise they are not alone in this. These stories give them a sense of security that they aren’t the only ones and not all stories end badly regardless how hard the journey is.

For just these few reasons stated, that is why dystopian literature has reached an all time high in popularity in teens. They are relating and connecting to these characters. While getting a sense of security that they can do it to. Rebellion is apart of life for everyone at some point. The exciting thing is how each person handles and copes with their story.

I wrote this essay for my english class.