Bountied | Teen Ink

Bountied

March 10, 2023
By ChristopherJoaquin, Santa Ana, California
ChristopherJoaquin, Santa Ana, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Summary:

“Hey Jack, Jack!

Get back to work, you can’t be sleeping on the job.You do that again and you’re fired.” Jack’s head shot back up.

He always put Jack on every hour of the schedule with about 30 minutes of break time in between.

Jack looked at the clock.

Jack entered his two room apartment that he shares with his mom.

Jack felt guilty and took care of her in his apartment.

Why don’t you get some sleep, I’ll get the groceries.” “No no no no, it’s fine.” Jack said rapidly, with a worried look on his face.

“Okay fine, you can get the groceries, but don’t come back late, please.” Jack’s mom nodded before going out the door and getting in her car.

Jack started to search for local areas for about 10 minutes until a mountain range with many lakes and a forest caught his interest at sight.

Jack got into his car and went to his nearest Big Five store to buy hiking gear.

Jack walked through his apartment doors and saw his mom cooking a meal.

Did you even get gear?” “Yeah, I just went out and got some.” “Well, be safe and have fun.” Jack went back up to his room and prepared for tomorrow’s trip.

He started to put his gear in the trunk of his car when he noticed a note on the back of the seat.

The note read, “Trips often lead to horrible conclusions when you meet the reaper”Jack was confused as he thought his mom made the note.

Jack walked up to it and examined it.

The trident symbol on the side had caught Jack's eye.

The briefcase spilled bits of cash and gold coins all over the ground.

“I shouldn’t be doing this,”Jack thought.

They would never know.” Without hesitation, he closed up the briefcase and started to carry it back to his car.

It was in some bush, covered in mud.” Jack replied back.

He dumped the cash and gold coins onto the living room floor and they gazed at each other, and back at the floor with their eyebrows raised.

I’ll be back!” Jack said, while running out of the apartment in a hurry.

While panting, he hurriedly entered and pulled out one of the coins, “Do you know if these are worth something?” The store owner grabbed the coin out of Jack’s hand.

Jack started to head out the door, not wanting to hear the rest of it.

It was starting to swerve left and right as Jack started to cross the road.


Christopher J.

Bountied


Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.